Carrot Fertility is the leading global fertility care platform for women, who are often at the center of fertility care decisions and consequences. Plus, Carrot serves people of every age, race, income, sex, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, and geography. Trusted by hundreds of multinational employers, health plans, and health systems, Carrot's comprehensive clinical program delivers industry-leading cost savings for employers and award-winning experiences for millions of people worldwide. Whether there is a need for care through fertility preservation, male-factor infertility, pre-pregnancy, IVF, pregnancy and postpartum, adoption, gestational surrogacy, or menopause, Carrot supports members and their families through many of the most memorable and meaningful moments of their lives.
Carrot seeks a talented, highly motivated, and mission-driven attorney with employee benefits and compliance experience to work cross-functionally to advise on ERISA, ACA, COBRA, and HIPAA compliance with respect to HRA and other plan designs and claims processing in the US. You will also provide strategic advice and counsel to Carrot regarding new product offerings, as well as ongoing advice regarding issues of state and federal taxation, compliance, privacy, fiduciary obligations, as well as state regulation of reproductive care, and other legal issues pertaining to Carrot’s services against an evolving legal landscape. You will negotiate business associate agreements and review HRA, adoption assistance, gestational surrogacy, and other benefit plan documents.
You will join a collaborative team of legal professionals dedicated to working together to resolve the challenging legal problems faced by Carrot’s rapidly growing global business.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one U.S. state bar.
- 4+ years of ERISA experience, either in-house and/or at a law firm (preference for in-house counsel experience at a health plan or at a startup)
- Solid legal research skills, particularly with respect to novel issues.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters.
- Experience efficiently and tactically managing legal spend and relationships with outside counsel.
- Ability to effectively analyze and advise as to legal and regulatory risk with a focus on creative solutions to legal issues in order to support Carrot’s growth.
- Excellent judgment and problem solving abilities, with a focus on finding a solution rather than issue spotting.
- Experience drafting/negotiating commercial contracts with global companies
- Interest in fertility/reproductive policies in general and the differences that might arise depending on country and culture
- Interest in developing network of peers for benchmarking/brainstorming on gray area issues of legal/regulatory compliance
Carrot offers a holistic Total Rewards package designed to support our employees in all aspects of their life inside and outside of work, including health and wellness benefits, retirement savings plans, short- and long-term incentives, parental leave, family-forming assistance, and a competitive compensation package. The expected base salary for this position will range from $158,000 - $200,000. Actual compensation may vary from posted base salary depending on your confirmed job-related skills and experience.
Carrot has received national and international recognition for its pioneering work, including Best Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Product from the Anthem Awards, Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's 100 Barrier Breaking Startups, and more. Carrot is regularly featured in media reporting on issues related to the future of work, women in leadership, healthcare innovation and diversity, equity, and inclusion, including MSNBC, The Economist, Bloomberg, The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, National Public Radio, Harvard Business Review, and more.
Carrot is fully distributed, with teams in more than 40 states across the United States and dozens of countries around the world. It has received numerous workplace awards, including Fortune's Best Workplaces in Healthcare, Quartz’s Best Companies for Remote Workers, and Great Place to Work and Age-Friendly Employer certifications. Learn more at carrotfertility.com.