Carousell is one of the world's largest and fastest growing mobile classifieds apps with a mission to inspire every person in the world to start selling and buying to make more possible for one another. As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell.
In addition to being well versed with the law, we are looking for a General Counsel who is curious about the business that she/he is part of. Apart from normal business, Legal team is always involved with high profile and high impact projects - including fundraising, merger and acquisitions, geo expansion as well as new product launches. You will be leading the Legal team to provide legal advice and support across all operating countries and offices we are currently in. This role reports to the CFO.
- Directly advise Board, CEO, CFO, and the leadership team on legal matters of strategic significance.
- Responsible for legal, regulatory, governance risk and compliance function throughout the 8 countries we are operating in.
- Support the business on a broad range of operational and business matters, including intellectual property, employment, privacy, competition, consumer law and merger & acquisitions.
- Constantly working closely with all business functions, ensuring internal compliance in line with the company's policies and streamlining the company's system and processes.
- Build a world-class legal team and help the legal professionals on your team to prioritize their work and make excellent decisions on matters of all sizes for the company.
- Advise, draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts with third parties such as advertisers, suppliers, merchants and other potential partners.
- Mentor and coach others on the legal team and contribute to the whole team’s success.
- 15-20 years of experience in-house legal department and at a top tier law firm.
- Experience managing a team of legal professionals, including other managers and geographically distributed teams.
- Experience working in a fast-paced technology company or other product-driven company would be preferred.
- Experience in designing Board documents and organizational structures to support appropriate governance across complex entity structures.
- Exceptional judgment, with the ability to quickly synthesize complex legal and factual issues and reach excellent decisions, often in the face of evolving legislation.
- Ability to effectively communicate with senior executives, regulators and other stakeholders.
- Ability to take ownership of outcomes and the ability to work with business unit teams to confront issues and drive performance.
- Skilled at identifying and recommending cost-effective solutions and organizing resource allocation.
- Strong problem solving and operational process skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Demonstrate strengths in influencing decision making, conflict management, and negotiation.