Carousell is one of the world's largest and fastest growing mobile classifieds apps with a mission to inspire every person in the world to start selling and buying to make more possible for one another.
Since our launch in Aug 2012, we've expanded into 7 countries, 19 major cities with over 250 million listings. As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell.
At Carousell you will have the opportunity to improve experience for millions of our buyers & sellers across 9+ markets. Given high volumes of user-generated-content and dynamics unique to a C2C marketplace, there are endless opportunities to generate significant business & user impact leveraging machine learning.
As a Principal Data Scientist, you will be part of a talented group of Data Scientists, reporting to Head of Data Science. You will get to work with big volumes of data, converting them into actionable insights / models for both our users and team. You will have the autonomy to lead and explore data science projects to solve key business problems, by working together with a core team of passionate data analysts, scientists and engineers.
You will get the opportunity to work on a wide variety of impactful & important problem areas like: Item Authority, Price Prediction, Content Moderation, Search & Recommendations, Fraud Detection, User Segmentation, Dynamic Ads Pricing & Placement, Chat Analytics (NLP), Image Search etc.
The successful candidate must be able to roll-up his/her sleeves, and work directly with very large datasets and data science tools & libraries. He/she should be passionate about their work, detail-oriented, scientific, and have excellent problem-solving abilities.
This role also requires a high level of comfort navigating ambiguity, and a keen sense of ownership and drive to deliver results. The successful candidate will also be required to have experience of successfully leading Data Science projects / teams towards impactful outcomes.
You are expected to embody Carousell’s 5 Core Values: Stay Humble, Solve Problems, Be Mission First, Be Relentlessly Resourceful & Care Deeply
- Establish and nurture a high performing ML/AI culture in partnership with Head of Data Science
- Identify / Architect high impact machine learning projects and drive solutioning with desirable outcomes
- Effectively collaborate with product / engineering / data teams across different geographical locations, to implement machine learning models in production environment
- Actively participate in hiring, coaching and mentoring individual data scientists / ML engineers in SG and India development centers, to be more effective individual contributors
- Contribute significantly to setting up a very productive culture & tech environment for effectively training, deploying & maintaining ML models
- Provide expertise on concepts for machine learning and applied analytics and inspire the adoption of machine learning across the breadth of our organization
- 8+ years experience as data scientist / ML engineer, with hands on experience of solving a variety of complex product & business problems leveraging machine learning.
- Good university degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field). Solid foundation in maths and programming.
- Strong programming ability in Python, SQL and experience with machine learning frameworks and libraries (e.g. TensorFlow, Keras, Spark MLlib, Sklearn)
- Experience in building ML models at scale, using real-time big data pipelines on platforms such as Spark/MapReduce
- Track record of shipping several large scale machine learning projects in the Consumer AI space using Deep Learning
- Experience in coaching & mentoring junior data scientists
- Diligent and reliable, with excellent analytical skills, communication skills, and teamwork.
- Occasional travel needed
Good to have:
- MSc or PhD level in a relevant field
- Experience of solving Data Science problems related to eCommerce or classifieds space, esp. Involving user-generated-content.
- Experience of solving marketplace related Data Science problems: content discovery, content moderation, fraud detection etc.
- Publications in well-respected conference / journals
* Please send us your Arxiv, Kaggle and/or Github profile if any!