CARMERA builds high-definition, fully regenerative, city-scale maps for the world’s leading developers of autonomous vehicles. We are seeking a high-performing perception engineer with a passion for autonomy to help build and deploy novel localization and mapping technologies for our HD mapping products.
The Perception Engineer role lives at the intersection of research/theory and real world application. In this role, you will report to the Head of R&D and work with a small and ambitious team focused on using video and positioning data captured from probe vehicles to build and update maps. You will take responsibility for the full software lifecycle of new perception capabilities, including developing innovative algorithms in areas such as sensor fusion, machine learning, and computer vision, and integrating those capabilities into our customer-facing products. You will thrive in this role if you enjoy tackling challenging and unique problems creatively and iteratively, even before a perfect, well-defined solution reveals itself.
This is a critical role in delivering on our mission to provide safe autonomy for all.
- Developing novel perception solutions for localization and mapping problems
- Validating the efficacy of your solutions prior to product-integration
- Collaborating with teammates to integrate and deploy your solutions into our customer-facing products
- Staying informed on new methodologies and best practices in the field
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 1-3+ years of experience building production level software (Python, git)
- Strong understanding of basic linear algebra, geometry, and statistics, both in concept and in coding-practice (e.g. numpy, scikit-learn, shapely)
- 2+ years experience in at least one of: localization & mapping, robotics/autonomous systems, state estimation, sensor fusion, computational geometry, machine learning (perception), computer vision
- Understanding of basic geospatial concepts
Strong experiential preference (not required):
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. with a focus on robotics, control systems, computer vision, machine learning (perception) or a related field
- Sensor fusion and filtering algorithms (e.g. Kalman / Particle) for sensors including monocular cameras, GNSS, and IMUs
- Sensor hardware, and relevant calibration methodologies
- SLAM, visual odometry and/or reconstruction methods
- Machine learning tools and techniques for perception (e.g. Tensorflow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, OpenCV)
- Real world cloud systems for processing high volume data
- Work on groundbreaking civic challenges cutting across some of the most meaningful innovations of this era, including autonomy, smart cities, IoT, big data and AI
- Be a foundational part of an exceptional, close-knit team who have diverse backgrounds and embrace challenges that are hard but achievable
- Attractive cash and equity compensation package
- Generous benefits package including premium health care plan, free cell phone plans and more
- Flexible working norms and time-off
- Generous paid parental leave
- Short-term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Supplemental Disability Insurance
If you are interested in being considered, please take a second to share more about yourself.
INSIDER TIP: Want to elevate your application to the top? A well articulated response to the question about related experience is the best way to guarantee an interview.
*This position is based in Seattle, but we are open to considering flexible options.*
We are an equal opportunity employer and diversity is critical to our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are advocates for justice and overt promoters of marginalized, under-represented groups and individuals.