CARMERA’s mission is to build and maintain the world’s leading road intelligence platform to deliver safe autonomy for all. In pursuit of our mission, we’re looking for exceptional engineering talent to add to our Platform team that is focused on building backend systems to support next generation maps for autonomous vehicles.
In this role, you will regularly make key contributions to all core components of CARMERA’s technology. We are looking for someone who enjoys building iterativley, even before the perfect, well-defined solution reveals itself. You are energized when you encounter novel problems that require innovative solutions. You move fast and you have strong opinions that are moderately held.
- Design and build backend systems that power CARMERA and support advanced map data pipelines.
- Regularly contribute to production products.
- Work with vehicular generated real-time sensor data.
- Iterate rapidly on features, tooling, and processes as we launch new versions of our products.
- Work with a wide range of systems, processes and technologies to own and solve problems from end-to-end.
- Leverage the best of CARMERA’s stack or build from the ground up when prudent.
- Debug production issues across services at multiple levels of the stack.
- Design, build and maintain scalable APIs for customers to consume mapping and event data.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are an Explorer, always learning, adapting and taking challenges head on with a positive and collaborative attitude.
- You can confidently contribute stand-alone, high quality code and have a history of regular contribution to a production product. Though we work mostly in Python 3, languages can be learned and we care much more about your general engineering skills than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- You have relational database experience. We primarily use PostgreSQL, but like programming languages, new relational database nuance can be learned.
- You have implemented or contributed to RESTful API’s and SDK’s.
- You have the ability to take an abstract problem, recognize a customer need and turn it into engineering work with a clear return on investment.
- You have high adaptability and flexibility -- you can work cross-functionally, and manage deadline pressure, ambiguity, and change.
- You have been successful in driving design and implementation of backend data processing systems for an evolving product.
- You feel energized by a fast-paced startup environment where project priorities change frequently - optimizationing, improving, iterating and implementing.
Strong preference (not required) if:
- You have strong coding skills in Python 3.
- You have worked with relational databases with geospatial extensions or purpose built geospatial datastores. (esp spatial database extensions (e.g. PostGIS).
- You have a programmatic geospatial experience.
- You have experience or a general understanding of DevOps (Docker, deploying infrastructure to AWS, etc).
- You have experience with big data and NoSQL datastores.
- Work on groundbreaking civic challenges cutting across some of the most meaningful innovations of this era, including autonomy, smart cities, IoT, big data and AI
- Be a foundational part of an exceptional, close-knit team who have diverse backgrounds and embrace challenges that are hard but achievable
- Attractive cash and equity compensation package
- Generous benefits package including premium health care plan, free cell phone plans and more
- Flexible working norms and time-off
- Generous paid parental leave
- Short-term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Supplemental Disability Insurance
If you are interested in being considered, please take a second to share more about yourself.
INSIDER TIP: Want to elevate your application to the top? A well articulated response to the question about related experience is the best way to guarantee an interview.
*This position is based in Seattle, but we are open to considering flexible options.*
We are an equal opportunity employer and diversity is critical to our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are advocates for justice and overt promoters of marginalized, under-represented groups and individuals.