At Caribou, we care about giving people financial freedom so they can focus on what’s most important to them. Today, less than two percent of Americans refinance their auto loans despite drastic increases in the cost of new and used cars. We see huge potential to help folks reduce their monthly auto expenses, as well as increase the predictability of those expenses over time. We do this by building technology to pair customers with community banks and credit unions, and ushering them through the process quickly. On average, our drivers save $130/month on their car loans while protecting their investment long term.
Caribou is led by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries. We’re proud to be backed by a great team of investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for a Director of Product Engineering to build and lead a team of Engineering Managers and engineers. You will set and execute on a vision for delivering a portfolio of direct to consumer products and our best-in-class marketing technology stack. Reporting directly to the CTO, you will play a crucial role overseeing teams that focus on Consumer Experience, Growth/Marketing, and Lending Partners & Integrations.
Leadership and Management
- Deliver value to Caribou and our customers by building, shipping, and maintaining high quality software and products while improving our overall technical foundation.
- Build and maintain high-performing engineering teams.
- Establish clear goals that directly support company objectives, team goals, and individual growth. Will hold teams accountable for those results.
- Plan short-term and long-term roadmaps and be actively involved in driving week-over-week progress on key initiatives.
- Provide program / project management support when needed. Ensure on-time delivery by taking an active role in planning, adjusting, and unblocking.
- Drive growth and maturity of our engineering practices, disciplines, and culture. Build and maintain a culture of engineering discipline by advocating for observability, monitoring, and code quality.
- Be a coach/mentor and foster an environment that allows your teams to do their best work.
Collaboration and Communication
- Collaborate effectively throughout the business and become a strong partner to the Product org.
- Help make pragmatic decisions while balancing strategic and tactical needs / requirements from all parts of the business.
- Clearly communicate progress, challenges, and results to senior leaders, key stakeholders, and relevant teams.
This role may work remotely from a state where Caribou operates*. Alternatively, this role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC and Denver, CO.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 10+ years of management and software development experience in building complex consumer products and services.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing engineering teams and engineering managers at growth-stage startups.
- You know what great product-focused engineering looks like and have experience building successful consumer products.
- Demonstrated ability to set strategy for evolving systems. You have experience improving a codebase while simultaneously adding to it.
- Experience in and strong understanding of software engineering principles and practices, including version control, testing, and deployment.
- Track record of building and managing high-performing teams.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Ability to convey complex technical concepts to various stakeholders across all functions.
- Preference for deep Ruby and Rails experience.
How We will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive compensation: $220-250k
- Equity options
- 401k savings program
- Generous paid time off including: Flexible Time Off (FTO) for all employees and 100% paid parental leave for all parents
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plan for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance.
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance.
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses.
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work and how we work together.
- Give a damn. What we’re doing matters. We show up determined to deliver results, and we love it.
- Velocity. We’re intentional about where we’re going and we race towards it.
- Make the assist. We have diverse strengths. We offer and ask for help so we all win.
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.
*Caribou does not currently have employee operations in AL, AK, AR, CT, HI, ID, IN, IA, KY, MS, MT, NE, NM, ND, OK, RI, SD, WV, WY.