Caribou is a hyper-growth company built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries. We have grown 20x in the past three years and raised a $115M Series C. We’re proud to be backed by a great team of investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for an experienced underwriter with 5+ years of auto lending experience. As an experienced underwriter you have expert skills to assess and validate the creditworthiness of a borrower and decision to approve or decline an application. In this role, you will:
- Skilled with working with both prime and non prime borrowers
- Able to work in a manual, judgmental and auto approval credit environment
- Able to work in a technology driven application process
- Review a high volume of daily auto loan applications on a timely basis
- Ensure loans are being approved in line with credit policy and compliance
- Work efficiently with attention to details
- Identify and document loan errors and communicate with lenders for error resolution
- Review and verify loan is accurate and complete
- Experienced with reviewing, validating and confirming accuracy of required documentation (STIPS)
- Communicate and work along with Credit Analytics team
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC and Denver, CO. Alternatively, this role may work remotely from a state where Caribou operates*. This role may require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings.
You are a skilled underwriting professional in the auto finance servicing business working for banks, finance companies or other Fintechs. You are proactive, and are able to work at a high growth startup. You:
- Have strong auto, manual and judgmental loan underwriting and information validation skills and can articulate these decisions in written form
- Work efficiently and accurately
- 5+ years of experience working with FICO scores across the credit spectrum
- Skilled in analyzing financial information, verifying income, Fraud, and making decisions to approve, counter-offer, or deny a loan based on prescribed credit policies
- Able to assess and escalate exceptions (as needed) and document decision rationale
- Familiar with working with both manual as well as automated decision technology and familiar with auditing and reviewing systems to confirm accuracy of credit policy and documentation (STIPS)
- Have strong judgmental skills when reviewing applications
- Able to work in Date Driven environment and work with credit analytics to recommend appropriate credit policy
- Organized and detailed oriented
- Good communication skills
- Able to problem solve
- Team player
- Attention to detail with ability to prioritize and manage daily responsibilities with little oversight
How we will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive base salary of $80K- $90K
- Equity in a high-growth company.
- 401k savings program with 3% company contribution.
- Generous paid time off including: 20 days accrued PTO per year, 14 annual company holidays, 16-weeks paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and volunteer day.
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plans for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance.
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance.
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.
*Caribou does not currently have employee operations in AL, CT, HI, ID, IA, KY, MS, MT, NE, NM, ND, RI, SD, WV, WY.