At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
Caribou is a hyper-growth company built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries. We have grown 20x in the past three years and raised a $115M Series C. We’re proud to be backed by a great team of investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for an Engineering Manager for the Integration Enablement team, to work with cutting-edge technology to help us evolve our integration platform. As Caribou looks to scale the breadth and depth of our product capabilities, this role will be focused on delivering great experiences powered by third party services and data integrations across Caribou.
As the Engineering Manager for Integration Enablement, you will lead an engineering team building the best-in-class integration platform for real-time and secure exchange of mission-critical business data between various Caribou applications. Under your leadership, the team will support Caribou's vision of enhancing the customer's experience through their loan refinance and funding process. As a member of Caribou’s Engineering team, you will report to the Director of Engineering.
You will build trust-based relationships with Caribou Engineering and Partner Engineering teams. Effective functioning of these engineering teams will allow Caribou to partner with more lenders and partners, while increasing Caribou’s loan making ability across a wider FICO spectrum.
In this role, you will have a broad overview and provide leadership and guidance over people, process and systems. The Engineering manager will:
- Be a servant leader overseeing the development, deployment, and maintenance of critical applications via cloud-native architectures.
- Build and support integrations across the Caribou platform to unlock new capabilities and simplify access to data and services, while driving the company toward an event-driven architecture.
- Closely partner across the internal lending, underwriting teams, the consumer platform engineering teams and contact center as you coordinate and execute targeted improvements to the platform, bringing in data and new capabilities from multiple internal and external data sources..
- Grow and lead a team of engineers to success. You will make hiring decisions, manage performance, and provide ongoing coaching
- Work closely across the Engineering, Product, Contact Center, Analytics and Lender Success teams to synthesize business needs into an executable, strategic vision for our underwriting services.
- Be responsible for the overall delivery of project work and supporting the applications across your organization.
- Define and measure successful engineering outcomes and assume accountability for results while delegating architectural decisions to the seasoned engineering team.
- Develop technical strategy on how we can push the boundaries of platform capabilities, and pair with a Product manager on fleshing out how to turn ideas into reality.
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC or Denver, CO. Alternatively, this role may work remotely from a state where Caribou operates*. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position.
You are a natural leader and influencer capable of setting a vision for how technology investments enhance a Product and Engineering organization’s ability to deploy software and measure performance. You love learning. Whether at university/school, on the job, or in your free time - you put in the time & effort to develop your craft. You have:
- 2+ years of experience in managing a team of engineers
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering along with experience in building enterprise grade software that is scalable and performant.
- Experience delivering enterprise applications that support internal stakeholders in delivering business value to customers.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to solve problems quickly, establish new frameworks, ability to think on your feet, and see opportunities before others do. You can generalize both problems and solutions.
- Experience coordinating the work of multiple engineering teams executing in similar problem spaces to deliver against a shared vision
- Superb verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing executives and evangelizing to stakeholders.
- Experience with fintech systems, LOS (loan origination systems) or underwriting platforms is nice to have.
- Experience with integrating with Salesforce is nice to have.
How we will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive compensation: $180-$210K annually
- Equity in a high growth startup
- 401k savings program with 3% company contribution
- Generous paid time off including: 20 days accrued PTO per year, 14 annual company holidays, 16-weeks paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and volunteer day
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plans for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses
Technologies we teach and use - are not limited to this list but gives you a general flavor of our ecosystem: Typescript, GO, Python, Haskell, Node (NestJS), Rails (legacy), Kong, Airflow, Postgres, Google Cloud Platform, Argo CD & Workflows, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana
Our Core Values
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.
*Caribou does not currently have employee operations in AL, CT, HI, ID, IA, KY, MS, MT, NE, NM, ND, RI, SD, WV, WY.