At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
Caribou is a hyper-growth company built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries. We have grown 20x in the past three years and raised a $115M Series C. We’re proud to be backed by a great team of investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is seeking a Director, Lending Product Strategy to help lead the expansion of our consumer loan offerings.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing and enhancing our suite of credit offerings for our borrowers and lending partners, and work cross-functionally to bring them to life. This includes defining the optimal product structure; choosing when to build, buy or partner; assessing operational and financial risks; designing go-to-market and owning the ultimate business case. You will collaborate closely with Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Analytics to operationalize your products and continue to drive their growth. In addition, you will support the overall management of our lending operations through close ownership of key project plans and action items.
The Director, Lending Product Strategy will be part of our Lending Solutions team, which reports to our Chief Lending Officer. Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing, assembling, and launching loan offerings that will delight our borrowers and lending partners
- Owning development of the business case, strategy, timeline, risks, and interdependencies to enter new markets
- Becoming the expert on all aspects of the business case by analyzing internal data, performing competitive and market research, and gathering feedback from customers
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to ensure product delivery (across all organizational functions - product, marketing, lender sales, capital markets, etc.) is aligned with our business case
- Identifying and executing on opportunities to expand adoption and usage across our lending products and proposing new products, as applicable.
- Designing and implementing the business and operational systems and processes that support our internal growth and execution
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC or Denver, CO. Alternatively, the Director, Lending Solutions may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position.
- 10+ years of experience at a strategy consulting firm and/or in product or business operations roles at a high-growth financial technology company
- Experience in some or all of: auto lending, loan underwriting, consumer loan participations, banking, and risk management
- Advanced financial modeling skills, ability to read and analyze financial statements, understanding of balance sheet-based businesses such as banking and specialty finance, and knowledge of loan accounting principles
- Strong project management skills, including managing numerous product-level details and relationships, while owning multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Entrepreneurial experience and experience operating at scale—you enjoy moving quickly on new, green-field products
- Deep personal drive to help people improve their financial lives
Bonus points for:
- MBA or similar degree
- Experience with consumer auto credit or other consumer lending is preferred
- Technical skills: SQL, business intelligence applications
How we will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive base salary compensation: $175K - $200K
- Equity in a high growth startup
- Fantastic health, dental, vision, and mental health insurance, and a generous PTO plan
- Company-paid for short & long term disability insurance and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits include HSAs, FSAs, voluntary life insurance, and pet insurance.
Our Core Values
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.
*Caribou does not currently have employee operations in AL, CT, HI, ID, IA, KY, MS, MT, NE, NM, ND, RI, SD, WV, WY.