At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
In the last year alone, we grew revenue by 5x and raised a $50M Series B. We’re built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries, and we’re proud to be backed by a great team of venture capital investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for a Director of Product Design to drive the vision, strategy, and execution of Product Design. As our Director of Product Design, you will be responsible for building and leading a product designers and researchers team to execute our product roadmap and level up our digital products. Reporting to our VP of Product, you will work collaboratively with peers in Product and Engineering to foster a data and research-driven design culture across the company. The ideal candidate will have successfully led a design team in a previous role, shipped a complex web product to a large user base, and fostered a spirit of learning and teamwork amongst their peers. The Director of Product Design will:
- Set the vision for Caribou’s product design practices in support of our digital portfolio
- Lead a team of product designers and UX researchers to success. You will make hiring decisions, manage performance, and provide ongoing coaching
- Pair with Product Managers to bring their business cases to life, helping turn identified needs into robust prototypes and flows to drive understanding
- Synthesize needs from Product, Engineering, and Marketing into comprehensive, design deliverables
- Establish process and best practices around research, design, & delivery and champion them across the organization
- Create elegant and useful design systems that define Caribou’s experience across its products and help us ship consistent, high-quality experiences
- Lead efforts to quantitatively and qualitatively understand user behavior, and use these insights to drive a holistic product experience
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC; Denver, CO; Austin, TX. Alternatively, the Director of Product Design may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position.
You are a natural leader and influencer who has a love for well-researched and well-crafted digital experiences. You have:
- 3+ years leading a digital design team
- 7+ years of experience in digital design experience or equivalent experience
- A stunning portfolio that demonstrates strategic business thinking, ambitious creative solutions, and cross-platform brand consistency.
- Experience delivering both in consumer and internal stakeholder settings, understanding the unique needs of both
- Experience organizing teams to deliver against a portfolio of products across disparate user groups
- Expertise working in design and prototyping tools like Figma
- Excellent leadership, project management, and people management skills
- Proven ability to mentor and develop junior designers
- Fantastic analytical skills, ability to solve problems quickly, establish new frameworks, ability to think on your feet, and see synergies before others do. You can generalize both problems and solutions.
- Superb verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing executives and evangelizing to stakeholders
*Applications without a portfolio site (Dribbble, Behance, etc. are acceptable) will not be considered.*
How we will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive base salary compensation: $175-$200K annually
- Equity in a high growth startup
- Fantastic health, dental, vision, and mental health insurance, and a generous PTO plan
- Company-paid for short & long term disability insurance and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits include HSAs, FSAs, voluntary life insurance, and pet insurance.
Our Core Values
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.