At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
In the last year alone, we grew revenue by 5x and raised a $50M Series B. We’re built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries, and we’re proud to be backed by a great team of venture capital investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for a Director of Engineering - Data & Services to build and lead a team of Engineering Managers and develop their technical leverage across our business. As a member of Caribou’s Engineering team, you will report to the VP of Engineering and set a vision for delivering a portfolio of data products and high-leverage internal developer tools, fueling our explosive growth.
You will oversee our teams tackling Data Engineering, Internal APIs, and DevOps enablement. This org will influence the way the rest of the Caribou engineering works and will be instrumental in increasing the productivity of the engineering org. Effective functioning of these teams will allow Caribou to see our data clearly, ship faster, and maintain a resilient technology organization.
About the Role
In this role, you will have a broad overview and provide leadership and guidance over people, process and systems. Specifically, you will:
- Be a servant leader overseeing the development, deployment, and maintenance of critical applications via cloud-native architectures
- Implement a DevOps strategy with a focus on enhancing end-user experience through self-service solutions, speed of delivery, and high-quality results
- Influence architecture & design decisions within the Engineering org, ensuring a sound strategy, tooling, developer experience, processes, and clear requirements
- Lead a team of engineering managers to success. You will make hiring decisions, manage performance, and provide ongoing coaching
- Work closely across the Engineering, Product, Marketing, and Analytics teams to synthesize business needs into an executable, strategic vision for our Data & Services teams.
- Be responsible for the overall delivery of project work and supporting the applications across your organization.
- Define and measure successful engineering outcomes and assume accountability for results while delegating decision-making authority to individual Engineering Managers
- Develop technical strategy on how we can push the boundaries of platform capabilities, and pair with a Product Director on fleshing out how to turn ideas into reality
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC; Denver, CO; Austin, TX. Alternatively, the Director of Engineering - Data & Services may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position.
You are a natural leader and influencer capable of setting a vision for how technology investments enhance a Product and Engineering organization’s ability to deploy software and measure performance. You have:
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering, including time managing a team of engineering leaders
- 5+ years of experience with cloud-native tools, e.g. Kubernetes, Spinnaker, Argo, etc.
- Experience delivering data products and core infrastructure products that powered a business line or company
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to solve problems quickly, establish new frameworks, ability to think on your feet, and see opportunities before others do. You can generalize both problems and solutions.
- Experience coordinating the work of multiple engineering teams executing in similar problem spaces to deliver against a shared vision
- Superb verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing executives and evangelizing to stakeholders
How we will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Base salary of $180-210K annually
- Equity in a high growth startup
- Fantastic health, dental, vision, and mental health insurance, where we cover 100% (yes, 100%!) of the premium for you and your family, and a generous PTO plan
- Company-paid for short & long term disability insurance and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits include HSAs, FSAs, voluntary life insurance, and pet insurance
Our Core Values
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Our Tech stack is not limited to this list but gives you a general flavor of our ecosystem: Rails, Kong, Airflow, Python, Node (NextJs, NestJS), Typescript, GraphQL, Postgres, Google Cloud Platform, Spark, Argo, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.