Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
The Corporate Strategy team is looking to hire an organized, highly motivated Senior Manager, Strategy to help shape the future of CarGurus. This individual will be focused on driving results through structuring & identifying corporate & project strategies, leading key cross-functional initiatives, driving ideas & implementation plans and providing thought leadership to counterparts within the organization. The Senior Manager works both independently and with peers on high-priority strategic projects with regular opportunities to communicate and work with the Senior Leadership team.
This position reports into the corporate strategy function but works with leaders from across the company, providing leadership to cross-functional teams by working to define clear and realistic goals, clearing barriers to success, developing a general management view of assigned projects and how they fit into the strategic landscape, and understanding of all the skills and tasks associated with successful project execution.
What you’ll do:
Strategic Initiatives: Lead ongoing strategic management & support key initiatives set by the Senior Leadership team
- Lead critical initiatives, in partnership with cross-functional leaders across the company on key strategy topics – including project planning, structured problem solving and analytics, business case development, cost benefit evaluation, evaluation of financial return and implementation planning
- Conduct analyses for relevant projects to support, accelerate, and guide leadership decisions
- Engage & lead problem solving sessions with critical collaborators to overcome project challenges, supporting cross-functional business partners at all levels with powerful analytic insights / problem solving
- Synthesize and present findings to senior leadership and organizational team members as necessary
- Provide strategic thought partnership to leadership and business partners, and work on and/or lead engagements that identify and harness growth & cost opportunities
- Assist team members and business partners in identifying, evaluating, and completing acquisitions and alliances
- Serve as an internal ‘strategy consultant’ by assisting company leaders assess their own department level strategies.
Competitive & Business Intelligence: Understand the automotive tech landscape
- Aggregate & analyze driven insights and prepare reports for organization & leadership on a regular cadence using both internal and 3rd party data sources
- Research new business trends and leverage expert interviews to build insights and recommendations for new business opportunities
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to build out market level strategies in response to business intelligence updates
Company Strategy: Annual and forward-looking strategic plans and organizational goals
- Work with senior leadership to set-forth the organization’s strategic plan (both annual and multi-year) as well as any high priority goals and objectives
- Work with leadership operations to lead strategic planning at leadership off-sites and across company meetings
- Work cross-functionally to align corporate resources with long term corporate strategy to better drive strategy execution
Team Development: Growth and development of the Corporate Strategy team members
- Mentor junior team members to support work planning, hypotheses generation, issue identification, and analytical framework development
- Provide and seek guidance from corporate strategy team members on management, including coaching and performance feedback.
- Promote an open, collaborative environment built on trust to foster positive teamwork.
- Empower and lead teams of cross-functional resources in a matrixed organization with contending priorities, with or without direct authority or reporting relationships.
What You’ll Bring:
- 5-7 years of relevant professional experience; 3+ years in strategy at a consulting firm
- Business judgment, analytical problem solving, quantitative analysis, organizational skills, and information synthesizing capabilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communications – clear and concise with the ability to present in formal and informal settings to influence teams, as well as executive partners
- Strategic / analytical approach with an ability to think broadly, refine questions, and develop analytical frameworks
- Strategic mentality - able to take a concept, develop an execution plan and bring idea to fruition
- Ability to problem solve and create structure in complex and sometimes ambiguous environments.
- Demonstrated success working closely with senior executive leadership, and experience influencing across the organization
- Empower and lead teams of cross-functional resources in a matrixed organization with challenging priorities, with or without direct authority or reporting relationships.
- Experience managing, mentoring, and developing people
- Create models and conduct analysis in Excel to complete the above responsibilities.
- Apply strength in performing sophisticated analyses and the ability to present data and recommendations to a variety of audiences throughout an organization.
- Handle and prioritize strategies, initiatives, and workload proactively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Adept at using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in business or related field.
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.#LI-Hybrid