Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work’s made a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, and we’re expanding globally. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Foundations engineering team in Cambridge, MA. The Foundations team focuses on improving overall engineering performance through architectural improvements, engineering tooling, and developing core frameworks. These projects are complex and challenging and provide the opportunity to work with sophisticated tools and technologies. To succeed in this role, you must be able to learn and adapt quickly and collaborate with other engineers to deliver solutions. Potential project opportunities: creating new micro-services, improving UI performance, re-architecting core components and building developer tools. You will own your projects and collaborate with fellow engineers and product partners as you solve interesting problems with a global impact. And no, you do not need to know about cars to work here.
What you'll do:
- Work with a group of other engineers to improve engineering performance.
- Collaborate with engineers in other groups.
- Participate in requirements and design discussions and come up with efficient solutions.
- Write and deploy high-quality, performant, maintainable code.
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring and improving software.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Expertise with Java or similar object-oriented languages.
- Strong understanding of language internals, object-oriented design and relational database design
- Understanding of MySQL or similar relational databases
- Familiarity and experience with a wide range of technologies for different application concerns
- Drawn to and thrive in a fast-paced environment that pushes code daily
- Able to work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Experienced with building and designing scalable websites or large-scale applications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborates well with other people
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related field (preferred)
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the UK—with other markets on the horizon. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.