Let’s get to know each other
At Care/of, we take the guesswork out of feeling better by helping people build custom vitamin routines based on their unique needs. Whether it’s our personalized daily vitamin packs and powders through our direct-to-consumer business, or our multivitamins and blends with our retail partner Target, our products are backed by science and include a combination of highly-researched nutrients and traditionally used herbs. By providing honest guidance and better ingredients, we aim to help people feel empowered to make the right choices for their health.
Since our launch in 2016, we have raised capital from top investors including Goldman Sachs Investment Partners, Goodwater Capital, Tusk Ventures, RRE Capital, Juxtapose, and Bayer. In late 2020, Bayer secured additional investment in Care/of giving it majority ownership. By joining forces with Bayer, we are able to expand our ability to connect directly with new and existing customers and elevate our unwavering commitment to science-backed guidance, quality ingredients, and sustainable practices.
We’re excited to meet you!
What you’ll do:
Our vision and commitment as a People Team is to make Care/of a great place to work, a great place to grow your career, ensure Care/of has the right people and processes in place to achieve business outcomes, and ensure we are building and retaining a diverse team by creating an equitable and inclusive environment across locations. As the strategic leader and Head of the People Team, you will oversee all programs and processes that support these strategic pillars.
This cross-functional role will work closely with the leadership team to bring our vision, values, and operating principles to life on a daily basis, for a team of ~250 employees across 3 offices and remotely in the US. This role reports directly into the CEO and co-founder with a dotted line to the COO.
The desired start date for this role is between August 1 and October 1, 2022.
- Partner with the Leadership team to establish strategic plans, objectives, and internal processes that align with the broader business strategy. Lead the development and implementation of the People strategies and budget that support business objectives and establish Care/of as a top-tier employer.
- Lead a team of 6 responsible for business partnership, people operations & compliance, talent acquisition, employee experience & engagement, workplace experience, learning and development, total compensation & benefits, and Diversity Equity and Inclusion. Be an advocate, champion, and coach for your team to support them in achieving business outcomes and career growth.
- Coach leaders and people managers on People-related initiatives and how to achieve business outcomes through empathetic leadership.
- Build and foster an inclusive and diverse work environment and be the steward of Care/of’s core values and culture.
- Be the pulse of the organization. Assess organizational health and pull feedback from employees regularly to identify areas for action.
- Partner with Bayer on any group compliance/legal requirements and best practices to implement at Care/of.
Where you’ll be:
This position will be based in the greater New York City area. You will be expected to spend your time working in one of our New York City offices (Manhattan and/or Brooklyn) at a minimum of 1 day per week, with the option to work remotely the remainder of the time.
Who you are:
The ideal candidate will be driven to build a people-centered culture with a strong focus on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and building psychological safety across the organization. They will be expected to be an advocate for employees and help develop a culture to embrace change and drive performance. The ideal candidate will have a passion and proven track record for both developing new ideas to attract, develop, and retain talent as well as driving smarter ways of working through streamlining processes and effective program management.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational Psychology, or MBA preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in strategic People/Human Resources leadership roles, including HR generalist roles.
- 5+ years directly managing multi-disciplinary HR teams.
- Experience building relationships and credibility quickly to gain buy-in from both leaders & employees on People policies and programs.
- Ability to collaborate well with others across the organization and thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- #humble and servant leadership style, always listening & asking what you can do to make the team more successful and stepping in to support the team execute the day-to-day as needed.
- A focus on driving outcomes - coaching the team to determine priorities, potential paths, and eagerness to execute individually to achieve results.
- Experience building and executing programs for both exempt and non-exempt populations.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, project management, and execution skills.
- Ability to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, balancing long-term projects with urgent, immediate demands.
- Demonstrated experience and comfort level with excel and powerpoint and have used them to build budgets/forecasts and produce presentations for senior leadership.
Extra carrots 🥕 (preferred, but not required):
- Experience leading a People function in a fast-growing company, preferably in Consumer Product Goods, a Direct to Consumer business, or health-tech.
- Experience leading the evolution from an early-stage start up to a more established company, or through an acquisition.
- Experience supporting a warehouse, fulfillment, or retail population.
- Experience partnering with a holding company.
- Experience inheriting an existing team.
Even if you don’t meet all the requirements, we still encourage you to apply! If you’re submitting a cover letter, please note what makes you perfect for this role with the qualifications you have.
- Competitive salary + compensation package
- Competitive insurance packages with free medical, dental, vision plans.
- Unlimited vacation time because you deserve it.
- Free vitamins and powders
- Wellness perks with free access to online meditation services + fitness reimbursements (at-home workouts count!)
- Virtual team-building events because we value staying connected and building community.
- Socially and culturally relevant experiences geared towards personal + professional learning & development.
- Working with an amazing, fun-loving, spirited group of people.
Our Core Values:
Be Humble: Engage in debate with an open mind. Embrace feedback and being wrong when presented with data that shows there is a better option.
Be Honest: Deliver the truth with humor and love; Recognize and stand up against discrimination on any basis, including race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religious background, age, or mental and physical abilities - in our work and beyond.
Be Thoughtful: Attack hard problems with thoughtful tenacity. Don’t shy away from complex problems with complex solutions.
Be Different: Kill your darlings. Don’t be afraid to rewrite something once effective, loved, or widely accepted in the past. Evolution is wonderful. Push against banality and the status quo.
Our commitment to you:
At Care/of, we’re committed to building the best team we can. We hire for potential and support every team member through each step of their career development. Building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive space for our team to think differently and push the status quo is incredibly important to us; and we strive to use these guiding principles as the foundation for how we interact with each other, how we build our business, and how we hold ourselves accountable to our core values.
Care/of does not discriminate and will not make any hiring decisions based on your race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. If you have a disability and require accommodation during our interview process, please let us know how we can help make the interview process fair to your needs.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR POTENTIAL CANDIDATES:
On September 9, 2021, President Biden announced a six point COVID-19 action plan. As follow up to the initial announcement, we have decided our policy is to require all Care/of employees to be fully vaccinated by December 8, 2021. This requirement applies to all current and future Care/of employees. Care/of is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodations to any qualified individual who because of a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief or practice receives an exemption from the vaccination requirement, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship for the company.
We know your privacy is important to you. If you'd like to read more on how we protect your information, you can learn more here.