Let’s get to know each other
At Care/of, we help people remove obstacles to living a healthy life by delivering personalized, science-backed vitamins and protein straight to their door in convenient daily packs. As a fast-growing, venture-backed wellness startup, our technology makes it easy (and even fun) for people to get a custom vitamin and protein recommendation based on their diet and health goals — goodbye, guesswork. We aim to help people feel empowered to make the right choices for their health by being transparent about the research behind our recommendations and thoughtful about the quality of our products. We’ve recently expanded into retail, and are exclusively being sold at Target. (And we’re excited to meet you.)
What you’ll do:
The Formulator & Medical Researcher is a core member of the Care/of Innovation and Physical Product Team. They will pair their scientific training and expertise with creativity and passion for natural healing, to create compelling & science-backed new products that advance the Care/of mission. A strong passion for scientific research is required for this role, as it will search the literature for appropriate inspiration for new products and substantiation for product claims. This role requires a curiosity for new dietary ingredients and application of functional herbs, nutrients and foods that broaden the available health benefits to Care/of consumers. This role will play an important and active role delivering the Care/of innovation roadmap and other key strategic initiatives, including both Direct to Consumer and retail partners.
As part of the Formulation and Medical Affairs Team, you will
- Formulate new products that address key Care/of consumers areas of health interest that are safe, effective and supported by all available science.
- Develop compelling scientific summaries that span the literature, locate compelling references and use strong scientific writing skills to build evidence tables and substantiation for the physiological activity and product claims for each formula.
- Review and revise existing products technical files as needed.
- Partner with Regulatory & Scientific Affairs, New Products and Digital, Supply Network, and Quality in a cross-functional manner to facilitate product development from ideation all the way through commercialization.
- Uncover up to date science about vitamins, minerals, nutrients and herbs as a way to continue to showcase how the business stays current with the medical literature.
- Craft and deliver written and verbal medical education presentations that provide product and scientific education for Care/of employees and external audiences who possess varying levels of scientific understanding.
- Participate in clinical research opportunities to further Care/of’s brand and vision.
Who you are:
- A trained practitioner with an advanced applied health science degree (Naturopathic Physician, Master Herbalist, Dietician/Nutritionist, PhD, etc.) that has a strong passion for researching and formulating natural products
- Minimum of 3 years of experience creating new products & conducting scientific research in the dietary supplement and/or functional food industries.
- Thorough knowledge, experience, and deep understanding of GMP regulations as they pertain to 21 CFR Part 111 and how they impact product formulations, raw material ingredients, controlled documents and claims.
- Effective technical researcher and writer with strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, work independently, and within cross-functional teams.
Extra carrots 🥕 (preferred, but not required):
- Published scientific author on topics related to applied health and nutrition.
- Passion for herbal medicine and direct experience formulating with them individually as well as combining herbs for maximum benefit and minimum side effects.
- Experience working in or with high-growth start-ups
- Experience in e-commerce of consumer products
Even if you don’t meet all the requirements, we still encourage you to apply! When submitting a cover letter, please note what makes you perfect for this role with the qualifications you have.
- Competitive salary + compensation package
- Competitive insurance packages with free medical, dental, vision plans.
- Unlimited vacation time because you deserve it.
- Free vitamins and powders 💊
- Wellness perks with free access to online meditation services + fitness reimbursements (at-home workouts count!)
- Virtual team-building events because we value staying connected and building community.
- Socially and culturally relevant experiences geared towards personal + professional learning & development.
- Working with an amazing, fun-loving, spirited group of people.
Our Core Values:
Be Humble: Engage in debate with an open mind. Embrace feedback and being wrong when presented with data that shows there is a better option.
Be Honest: Deliver the truth with humor and love. Recognize and stand up against discrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religious background, or mental and physical abilities - in our work and beyond.
Be Thoughtful: Attack hard problems with thoughtful tenacity. Don’t shy away from complex problems with complex solutions.
Be Different: Kill your darlings. Don’t be afraid to rewrite something once effective, loved, or widely accepted in the past. Evolution is wonderful. Push against banality and the status quo.
Our commitment to you:
At Care/of, we’re committed to building the best team we can. We hire for potential and support every team member through each step of their career development. Building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive space for our team to think differently and push the status quo is incredibly important to us; and we strive to use these guiding principles as the foundation for how we interact with each other, how we build our business, and how we hold ourselves accountable to our core values.
Care/of does not discriminate and will not make any hiring decisions based on your race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. If you have a disability and require accommodation during our interview process, please let us know how we can help make the interview process fair to your needs.