Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
We are looking for an experienced, commercially-minded Senior Legal Counsel who will have oversight and responsibility for legal matters relating to our Careem Technologies business in Saudi Arabia.
What you’ll do
- Legal Advice: Provide legal advice and guidance to stakeholders, management, and business units on various legal matters to ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
- Contract Review and Negotiation: Conduct commercial contract reviews - including drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements with partners, vendors, landlords, suppliers and other business partners to promote and protect Careem’s interests. Manage interactions with external counsel, where necessary, and communicate outcomes effectively to the business.
- Risk Management: Identifying potential legal risks and liabilities faced by Careem and developing strategies in consultation with the team lead to minimize those risks.
- Legal updates: keeping abreast of changes in relevant laws and industry trends to ensure that our operations and strategy remains current and compliant.
- Litigation management: providing initial advice and collaborating (where required) with external law firms to manage litigation and legal disputes involving the organisation, initiating appropriate enforcement actions when necessary.
- Ethics and Values: Promoting ethical and compliant conduct in line with Careem’s policies and values.
- Intellectual property Protection: Advising, in conjunction with legal team specialist, on the protection of Careem’s intellectual property rights, including trademarks, copyrights, and patents.
- Labour and Employment Law: Liaising with legal team specialist to handle legal matters related to employment contracts, terminations, discrimination claims, and other labour-related issues
- Corporate Governance: Assisting with corporate governance matters for relevant business units, including advising on documentation for board meetings, corporate filings and compliance with company policies and procedures
- Data Privacy and Security: Liaising with legal team specialist to manage compliance with data privacy laws and regulation.
What you'll need
- Minimum of a law degree from a reputable university
- Fluent in English and Arabic (both oral and written)
- Minimum of 6 years of work experience post qualification.
- Strong experience of contract analysis, review and drafting.
- Excellent negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex legal matters to non-legal stakeholders clearly.
- Comfortable in working with shifting priorities, ambiguity and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.