Careem is building ‘the everything app’ for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
The Corporate Affairs team protects and enhances Careem’s reputation while building mutually beneficial partnerships with governments across the region. We engage a diverse and growing mix of stakeholders including customers, regulators, partners, entrepreneurs, Captains, colleagues and the general public. We develop strategies to connect all stakeholders to Careem’s journey, build lasting relationships, and ultimately create an enabling environment to build the most trusted technology platform in the wider Middle East.
Formed by policy, communication, social impact and creative specialists spread across nine cities in six countries, the team is driven by a mission to simplify lives, inspire the technology ecosystem and advance development across the region. A strategic approach to engagement and an alignment of values are what makes this group effective.
What you'll do
The Communications Specialist will work closely with the Communications Director and the wider communications team on strategic initiatives focused on communicating Careem’s growth and impact to stakeholders in Careem’s 10 markets, and positioning Careem as an industry thought leader, a great place to work, and a positive contributor to regional development.
Based in Pakistan, the Communications Specialist supports the development and execution of Careem’s communication strategy, as well as the monitoring and analysis of its success and impact.
The candidate will support stakeholder mapping, narrative development, communications planning, performance measurement, and engagement with business leaders across Careem as well as with external stakeholders including vendors and partners. As part of this the candidate will support content development and manage targeted lists of regional and global events, awards and media opportunities for Careem to consider participating in.
Strategy and Narrative Development
- Conduct high quality research and analysis to articulate the market opportunity for Careem’s Super App and the societal impact of Careem’s work. You should be able to think creatively and use a wide variety of sources including your own network and publicly available information to synthesize research into clear insights.
- Research and analysis to support stakeholder mapping, narrative development and channel strategies.
- Coordinate the planning of communication activities across Careem’s 10 markets.
- Coordinate business data and proof points to be used in internal and external communications.
- Coordinate an internal library of compelling images and videos that showcase Careem’s growth, impact and contributions.
- Coordinate an internal list of Careem spokespeople with regularly updated biographies and profile images, and keep track of the media training schedule.
Monitoring and Analysis
- Support the development of strategic metrics to measure the success and impact of Careem’s communications.
- Tracking, monitoring and analysis of Careem’s communication output and impact in order to present actionable insights to the wider team and improve or update measurement metrics as needed.
- Develop content that helps articulate Careem’s purpose, growth and impact across the region. Content that may need to be drafted includes op-eds, blogs, case studies, press releases and leadership communications.
- Support the selection and management of a targeted list of events, awards and media opportunities for Careem leadership to consider participating in.
- Propose content for social media and internal channels to amplify leadership speaking and media opportunities.
Speaking opportunities and awards
- Maintain a list of speaking opportunities and awards where Careem can engage with target audiences
- Support with event coordination and participation
- Nominate Careem and its multiple services for awards
- Support the Director of Communications in their engagement with regional and international media including the drafting of briefing notes.
- Support the team's engagement with partners, vendors, and academic institutions as related to communication team goals.
What you'll need
- 4-6 years of relevant experience including experience in research and communications
- An understanding of how robust communications supports reaching business objectives
- Poise and confidence coupled with strong presentation skills and the ability to engage at all levels of an organisation to clearly communicate complex information in accessible and memorable ways
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of communications measurement and evaluation
- Strong English writing skills, a solid grasp of grammar
- Alignment with Careem’s purpose and a commitment to living our values
- Sense of humor: Careem aims to do everything with a wink
- Energetic and tenacious self-starter with an inner drive to proactively engage and follow up relentlessly to drive impact rather than output
Nice to have
- Strong Arabic language skills including the ability to draft Arabic-first copy
- Masters degree in a subject related to technology, entrepreneurship or development
- Tech-sector experience
- Social media experience
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organization that offers flexible ways of working from the office and home.
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day