At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
About the team
The Careem Data Science team’s mission is to drive competitive value from data at scale through building AI models to optimize user experiences, decision making, operational efficiencies, and lead the region’s AI ecosystem.
As the leader of this team, you will be at the forefront of fulfilling this mission. You will be working with and leading the top data science talent of the region, leveraging AI to solve the region’s day to day problems, through state-of-the art machine learning, optimization, deep learning, and NLP models, that are deployed on top of our own in-house AI platform, serving users in real-time.
What you'll do
- Lead and grow a Data Science team distributed across geographies collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Develop a strategy to leverage AI as a strategic competitive advantage to Careem.
- Develop a Data Science vision and thought leadership in the space of Mobility of People, Mobility of Things and Mobility of Money having developed a strong hands-on experience in this space.
- Define a clear roadmap for the data science teams both in terms of goals and team development, working closely with product and commercial leaders.
- Lead and grow a midsize to large Data Science team distributed across the globe collaborating with cross-functional teams on multiple subdomains.
- Develop modern techniques, AI models and data that will enable finding a path to unsolvable questions and unlock significant impact opportunities.
- Collaborate with and influence leadership so that the team’s work directly impacts the organization’s strategy.
- Develop deep partnerships with engineering and product teams to deliver on major cross-functional efforts.
- Reimagine and reinvent operations and experiences through AI
- Build a fruitful relationship and collaborate with the AI counterparts at Uber, Careem’s parent company, in order to leapfrog our tech by leveraging Uber’s platforms.
- Participate in growing and contributing to the region’s AI community, working with universities and the wider industry ecosystem.
What you'll need
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field - computer science, statistics, economics, or mathematics
- Minimum of 12+ years of professional full-time experience working with data science and machine learning teams
- Strong experience in setting up, managing, and growing a data science team is a must
- Strong track record in delivering high impact from data and AI through leading multiple cross-functional projects
- Track record of shipping new products and iterating on them over time
- Track record of attracting and retaining top talent
- Experience instilling a culture of ownership, collaboration, and results
- Strong leadership and communication skills, critical thinking, and sound judgment
- You are motivated to make an impact and raise the applied AI bar in the region’s ecosystem
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a remote-first environment (3 days remote in country and 2 days onsite per week)
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day