At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region.
About the team
We are looking for engineers who will work within the Cloud Infrastructure Foundation team. The Infra Foundation team develops and maintain cloud-native technology for the Careem Service teams:
- Highly scalable Kubernetes clusters
- Highly reliable, secure and performant KONG based API Gateways
- Cloud Access management automation and integration with k8s
About the role
We need expert, execution-focused engineers to help shape the future of the Careem platform and to help us scale our already sizable effort greatly. As an SRE in Careem, you'll architect, build and maintain the above ecosystem required to ensure resilience, reliability of our services and speed up deployments with the aim of improving our products used by millions of customers every day. Key responsibilities include:
- Make an impact from design phase, through development and operation of Kubernetes cluster and its ecosystem on AWS
- Develop and integrate KONG API Gateway Plugins that are low latency and secure.
- Build core services, tooling and create technical processes that simplify and enable engineers across multiple services
- Identifying and automating and scale system configurations without compromising on security and reliability.
- Participate in on-call rotations and help improve incident response
- Experience in architecting, developing, operating and troubleshooting Kubernetes clusters and/or other highly available systems at scale.
- Preferable - hands on experience with deploying and operating KONG as API GW or Ingress controller.
- Good knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: Go, Python, Java, Rust, C++
- Experience with infrastructure automation - such as terraform , Cloud Formation or Pulumi.
- Strong Unix or Linux background, including concepts such as processes, network stack, and memory allocation
- Experience with cloud-native services on AWS/GCP/Azure
- Incident response and/or incident management experience
- Experience on DevOps topics such as monitoring, CI/CD, security is a plus
- Effective communication and collaboration skills: have the ability to drive and promote technical partnerships across teams
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies.
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a hybrid working environment
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day