Careem is building ‘the everything app’ for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our customers and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
As a Frontend (web) Engineer, you will be a part of a cross-functional team developing highly scalable and reliable web applications and services that our customers and partners use every day. You will work with a group of highly talented and motivated individuals to help shape the experiences that our users interact with every day on the Careem platform and that enable the business success of our partners. Your focus will be around creating an extensible set of web applications and services, building core supplier experience functionality which works in a hybrid online/offline manner.
What you'll do
- Write high quality, performant and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
- Work independently to understand functional specifications and deliver complete features.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Participate in team agile processes and practices, contributing to their continuous evolution.
- Work closely with other engineers on the team to build highly scalable and robust progressive web applications.
What you'll need
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- 4+ years of experience with one or more of modern JS frameworks: React (preferable), Angular or Vue
- Solid HTML, CSS and JS experience and understanding
- Proficiency in TypeScript and modern JS (ES6+)
- (S)CSS Modules, responsive design and solid UI/UX understanding and best practices
- Experience with one or more of the UI frameworks like Ant Design, Bootstrap, Material Design
- Client side state management: Redux, React Context
- Real-time technologies experience: Web Sockets, Socket.IO
- Testing frameworks: Jest, Enzyme, React Testing Lib
- JS ecosystem tooling: webpack, ESLint
- Understanding of how modern browsers work and their limitations
- Client side performance optimizations and best practices
Preferred skills & qualifications
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- GraphQL or React Query experience
- Developing components in isolation using Storybook
- Experience with PWA and service worker
- AWS and front end infrastructure knowledge (S3, CDN, CloudFront)
- Familiarity with CI/CD (we use Jenkins)
- Experience with Node.js and its frameworks (Nest, Express) is a plus
- Docker experience
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organization that offers flexible ways of working from the office and home.
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day