At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
What you'll do
- Design and build advanced, scalable applications in Kotlin and Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Write high quality, performant and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
- Work with the product and design teams to understand end-user requirements and use cases, and translate them into pragmatic and effective technical solutions.
- Unit-test code for robustness including edge cases, usability, and general reliability.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Participate in the team’s agile and engineering practices and contribute to their continuous evolution.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior engineers.
- Contribute to Kotlin multi platform libraries.
What you'll need
- 6+ years of Android application development with extensive use of Kotlin and well-known DI frameworks.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- Full understanding of the mobile development life cycle. Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Strong understanding of interactive application development paradigm under Android, memory management, file I/O, network programming, concurrency and multithreading, and publishing Android apps in the Play Store.
- Reactive programming (Rx/Flow) experience is necessary.
- Familiar with build tools and Gradle.
- Excellent debugging skills.
- Experience working with remote teams in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal, formal and informal).
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines similar to Bitrise.
- Experience with Jetpack Compose.
- Knowledge of Kotlin Multiplatform is a plus.
- Working knowledge of developing scalable SDKs and libraries.
- Experience applying professional software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a hybrid working environment
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day