At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
By applying here you will be considered for multiple similar positions within Careem across several teams and if you are successful we will match you to the best fit role based on your career and personal preferences.
What you'll do
- Work closely with other engineers on the team to build highly scalable and robust backend applications and services.
- Write high quality, performant and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
- Work independently to understand functional specifications and deliver complete features.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Participate in team agile and engineering practices and contribute to their continuous evolution.
What you’ll need
- 4+ years of professional software development experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- Working experience with at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Java, C#, C++, Golang, Kotlin.
- Working knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals including: object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms.
- Experience operating online systems reliably including deploying changes to production in live systems.
Preferred skills & qualifications
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- Experience with Java Spring, Golang and Cloud platforms such as Azure, Google Cloud Platform and AWS.
- Experience working with container technology including Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working with relational and non-relational database systems.
- Experience applying professional software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a hybrid working environment
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day