At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
About the Role
At Careem, the mission for the New College Graduates Programme is to help grow our new joint Engineering by learning how to write Clean Code, use SOLID principle techniques, and design reliable systems. The ultimate goal is to train the new Engineers to build Engineering excellence foundations with high standards. Our Programme covers all the areas of Careem tech be it Cyber Security, Data, Infrastructure, and all the Software Engineering tracks like Backend, Frontend as well as Mobile.
We are looking for software engineers to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability, and continued development. You will work alongside a top talent for an accelerated learning path. You will have access to some of the most exciting projects and advanced tech for accelerated learning and exposure.
You will be responsible for maintaining some of our services that power the Careem
engine, scaling highly distributed systems, and continuously documenting and improving our engineering practices. These large-scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment
Our tech stack is Java 8 and Spring Boot, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, iOS and Android applications, web front-end, and AWS infrastructure. Key responsibilities include:
• Development of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging functional, scalability, and reliability requirements for our fast-growing business
• Maintain features and systems, with an emphasis on code quality, maintainability, readability, and testing
• Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems across our platform
• Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team
• You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high-quality code.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical fields.
• 1-2 years of experience in Object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms.
• Ability to solve complex problems
• Must be able to write clean and maintainable code (must love coding!)
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast-changing requirements & think abstractly
• Passionate about learning new technologies and working on a product of massive scale and impact
• Able to communicate effectively
• Attention to detail
Nice to have:
• Knowledge of AWS
• Knowledge of clean code principles
• Deep understanding of design patterns
• Demonstrated ability of test-driven development
Where you'll be:
• Even though we are working remotely, we are strong believers in collaboration and the power of building social connections with our teams. For that reason, our offices are still open and provide plenty of collaboration-friendly spaces at times when teams need it or if you need a quiet space to work outside of home.
• You’ll be working in the location you’re hired from. Due to legal and compensation considerations, you will need to be based out of the country you’re hired from as your primary work location.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day