At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
About the team
The team focuses on enabling persistence storage technologies and taking cloud-native technology to the next level within Careem to help shape the future of the Careem Platform and to help us scale our already sizable effort greatly.
What you'll do
As an engineer in Careem, you'll build and maintain Kafka clusters and its corresponding ecosystem required to ensure resilience, reliability, and scalability of our services and speed up deployments with the aim of improving our products used by millions of customers every day. Key responsibilities include:
- Make an impact from the design phase, through the development and operation of the Storage cluster and its ecosystem on AWS
- Build support, tooling and create technical processes that simplify and enable engineers across multiple services
- Identifying and automating and scaling systems without compromising on security and reliability
- Participate in on-call rotations and help improve incident response
What you'll need
- 3+ years of related experience
- Expertise and experience in developing, operating, and troubleshooting Storage clusters and/or other highly available systems at scale
- Experience of running Kafka on Kubernetes
- Good experience of one or more programming languages: Go, Python, Java, Groovy, Scala, Ruby.
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Experience with infrastructure automation (Infrastructure as Code)
- Strong Unix or Linux background, including topics around network stack and scripting
- Incident response and/or incident management experience is a plus
- Experience in other automation topics such as monitoring, CI/CD, and security is a plus
Where you'll be
- This role is part of a remote distributed team! This means you can be based in any of the countries where we currently have an engineering site. If you would like to join us in Pakistan, Egypt, Lebanon or Jordan, that's fine with us.
- Even though we are working remotely, we are strong believers in collaboration and the power of building social connections with our teams. For that reason, our offices are still open and provide plenty of collaboration-friendly spaces at times when teams need it or if you need a quiet space to work outside of home.
- You’ll be working in the location you’re hired from. Due to legal and compensation considerations, you will need to be based out of the country you’re hired from as your primary work location.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day