At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
About the role
We’re hiring a Senior Software Engineering Manager to join our geographically distributed Groceries vertical. You will help guide our teams in building the Groceries vertical consisting of cross-functional squads across Careem.
What you’ll do
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritization; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast paced engineering team with many stakeholders.
- Directly oversee managers as well as principal engineers
- Support your teams in continuously improving the quality and reliability of their services and help define and enhance the patterns and principles that the team follows.
- Mentor, grow and support the careers of the engineers on your teams.
- Be a Leader in your area and collaborate closely with Product Managers to understand and refine customers' needs.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to create and follow the tech vision for the team.
- 6+ years of experience as a Senior Engineering Manager or Team Lead.
- 9+ years of overall technical experience.
- Experience leading complex engineering projects that cross engineering teams.
- Experience coaching and developing other managers and leads.
- Experience designing and building large scale, distributed applications including making tradeoffs in architecture and functionality in a cloud environment.
- Experience in highly available production systems including defining metrics and processes for deploying changes to production reliably in live systems.
- Solid understanding of software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience leading teams in a remote-first environment.
- Background in the Food/ Groceries domain.
- Experience working in a high-paced start-up environment.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day