At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
About the role
We are looking for someone passionate about automation, tooling, and frameworks to join the Developer Experience (DevX) team. You will be part of the team that has the mandate to enable engineers across all functional divisions at Careem to move as fast as possible, while maintaining our high quality and correctness expectations. DEVx work ranges from maintaining our CICD fleet, to optimizing our build and release workflows, to more SRE flavored work providing monitoring and visibility.
Key responsibilities include:
- Engage with engineers throughout Careem to learn about pain points, and work alongside a technical lead to define and prioritize solutions.
- Architect systems/solutions with a focus on scalability, testability, and maintainability
- Encourages and supports others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability
- Support the rest of the DEVx team in adoption by Engineers in such a way that makes on-boarding pleasant and seamless.
- Design, write and review application code.
- Develop, maintain, and extend a variety of systems, including open-source, ready-made, and in-house applications.
- Collaborate, coach, and mentor colleagues on an energetic, growing team.
- You'll have the opportunity to extend our existing Solutions. This will include modifying or developing code Java, Python, GO and different frameworks
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 3 to 4 years experience in building and owning tools for medium to large engineering teams.
- Expert Knowledge in Developing and debugging in one these Java, Go, Python,Bash.
- Experience with terraform and Cloud Formation.
- Experience with other programming languages is a plus.
- Experience of building systems, dashboards and metrics to facilitate a data-driven approach to problem resolution
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- Unquenchable thirst for learning new things.
- Obsession about keeping costs low while building solutions.
- Experience of Kubernetes is a plus.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day