At Careem, we are driven by the purpose of simplifying the lives of people and building an awesome organization that inspires. Based in Dubai, we started our journey as a pioneer of the Middle East’s ride-hailing economy. Today, Careem is the region’s everyday Super App operational in 13 countries and over 100 cities. The Super App provides a host of daily services that people need to move around, to order things and to transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Our goal is to simplify people’s daily lives so that they can spend their precious time and mindshare on things that really matter and on realizing their potential.
About the role
You will be responsible for the software architecture, design and development of the software systems that make-up the Careem engine. These large scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing. This means an opportunity to work on virtually any type of computer science and software engineering problem, particularly in the areas of large scale distributed systems, user interfaces and big data. Our technology stack is Java and Spring MVC, GoLang, SQL and NoSQL DBs, and AWS infrastructure.
Key responsibilities include:
- Development of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging functional, scalability and reliability requirements for our fast growing business.
- Build and ship new features and systems, with an emphasis on code quality, maintainability, readability, and testing.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems across our platform.
- Document designs and review code.
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team.
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- Strong skills in object-oriented design, data-structures and algorithms
- Ability to: effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements & think abstractly
- Passionate about learning new technologies
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, APIs, and relational & NoSQL databases
- Proficiency in Java and/or GoLang and server-side technologies.
- Experience working with AWS.
- Experience in Geo-Data is added plus.