Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and is quickly becoming the region’s only everyday Super App. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 100 cities across 14 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region, and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires!!
About the role
Come join the Logistics Infrastructure engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains (drivers) to simplify and improve the lives of people. The team you will join is building the region’s premier logistics platform which helps create opportunities for millions of people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world and serve our 2 and 3 sided Marketplace!
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our Customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting-edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
We’re hiring a Software Engineer II to join our geographically distributed Logistics Infrastructure team. You will help build out our next-generation Logistics Platform that will power all of Careem’s logistics. The platform manages logistics infrastructure like maps, location awareness, marketplace health, geofence locations, and helps shape the availability of Captains in our cities.
What You'll Do
- Work independently to understand functional specifications and deliver complete features.
- Write high-quality, performant, and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Participate in team agile processes and practices, contribute to their continuous evolution.
- Work closely with other engineers on the team to build highly scalable and robust backend services.
- Work with a cross-functional team to address specific business problems.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or another related technical field.
- 4+ years of professional experience in Software Development building scalable microservices (must love coding!)
- Proficiency in atleast one of the languages: Java/NodeJS/Scala
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software against aggressive schedules.
- Experience with distributed systems at scale in a cloud-based environment.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Domain experience in logistics and marketplace systems and technologies.
- Good familiarity with the AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, Elastic Search, Dynamo)
- Experience working on containers (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Experience with Reactive programming in Java, Golang, Nodejs, PHP, Spring Boot, and a deep understanding of DI frameworks.
- Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.
- Experience in Data engineering (Kafka, Spark)
What we offer
- A competitive salary and package.
- A diverse team and inclusive culture.
- A globally distributed, remote-first company and team.
- Unlimited vacation.
- A focus on individual learning and development.
- The opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in one of the most dynamic regions of the world.