Senior Tax Manager – Tax Strategy
At Careem, we are driven by the purpose of simplifying the lives of people and building an awesome organisation that inspires. Based in Dubai, we started our journey as a pioneer of the Middle East’s ride-hailing economy. Today, Careem is the region’s everyday Super App operational in 13 countries and over 100 cities. The Super App provides a host of daily services that people need to move around, to order things and to transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Our goal is to simplify people’s daily lives so that they can spend their precious time and mindshare on things that really matter and on realizing their potential.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup from Dubai with presence in 100+ cities across 13 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
As a tax professional, you will be leading and owning products and services that enable paying experience for customers and captains (drivers) in a delightful and compliant fashion across the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. You will have tremendous ownership, and it is an invitation to do the most meaningful work of your career.
As a tax professional you’ll be involved in supporting international tax matters for Careem in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. At the same time, you’ll advise and work closely with business stakeholders to advise them on tax matters. If you welcome a high-growth, fast-paced international environment, this may be the opportunity for you!
What you'll do
- You have the ability to operate independently, make decisions and thrive on execution
- Collaborate with various stakeholders such as Product, Operations, Legal, Policy, Pricing, Accounting and Communications
- Maintain relationships with local Tax Authorities including managing any local tax audits and correspondence with the tax authorities
- Liaise and manage external advisers to ensure Careem gets the best advice possible
- Review legal contracts from a tax perspective
- Review new products and features from a tax perspective and monitor the overall tax risks being borne by the group
- Collaborate with colleagues in the global tax team on various projects and provide regular feedback to the tax team and other teams to ensure they understand your role, enabling them to better partner with you on tax issues
- Work closely with tax and accounting colleagues to assess tax reserve positions
- Manage all transfer pricing and economic substance aspects for the Careem group
- Stay on top of all international and local tax developments in MENAP, analyze the impact for Careem’s business and advise your tax team members and business accordingly
- Create appropriate deliverables for use within the tax department and in the broader company and document all tax input provided
- Support other special projects by researching and analyzing the tax issues
Who you are
- Passion for Careem’s mission and the company’s hybrid technology/ operations nature
- Excited to be involved in launching and growing Careem products and determined to make Careem a huge success in the region
- Very strong analytical skills and ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to influence stakeholders without direct authority
- Willingness to deal with a very steep learning curve and openness to challenging projects outside your usual areas of experience or comfort zone
- Grittiness, you never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with aggressive timelines
- Comfortable in navigating uncertainty in a fast paced environment, with a high level of autonomy
- Self-motivated with great attention to detail, project management and organizational skills and strong ownership of tasks.
- Comfortable working in a remote environment, with strong self-discipline
- A team player with a good sense of humor.
What you'll need
- An academic degree in tax law and/ or a professional qualification or equivalent
- You are an excellent tax professional with at least 8 years of tax experience, preferably experience in a fast-paced, large volume e-commerce environment and as a tax adviser at a Big 4 or as a tax lawyer
- Affinity with and interest in tax related technologies is an important asset since this over time digitalization will become an increasingly important part of the position
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills is mandatory whilst written and verbal Arabic language skills are considered a big plus
- Curiosity mindset, exceptional organizational skills, excellence in daily task executions and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- High standards across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with and projects you work on
- International travel may be part of the job where necessary (after Covid-19)
What do we offer you?
- Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, ownership culture and a fun learning environment! Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re enabling the movement of real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun environment
- Mentorship and career growth
- Full-time salary negotiable based on experience
- Unlimited annual leave
- Flexible and remote working arrangements