To work with the Pakistan Director of Government Relations to manage the implementation of an effective government relations, regulatory and policy strategy for Careem in Pakistan to secure Careem’s licenses to operate, advocate for favorable regulations and win government partnerships across, ride hailing, delivery, payments and new verticales.
This role has significant impact on key operational metrics including the company’s ability to generate and grow revenue in Pakistan through existing and future products, services, and operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (OUTPUTS, KPI’S)
- Engage and liaise with stakeholders in the federal and provincial governments (Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of IT, Ministry of Finance and State Bank etc.) who directly and indirectly impact Careem’s ride hailing, delivery, and payments verticals.
- Support outreach to federal and provincial government officials and communicate effectively with them on Careem’s business plans and initiatives as well as issues and support needed.
- Track and mitigate risks arising from regulatory and policy changes at the federal, provincial, and local levels.
- Engage with academia, civil society, NGOs, and intellectuals who are active in the public policy arena.
- Maintain records of meetings with government and other stakeholders
- Support collaboration with industry players to develop overlapping positions to advocate with the government to create a favorable regulatory framework.
- Coordinate with other GR colleagues in other 13 markets to track any regulatory spillover risks.
- Advise senior business leaders with insights on the political and regulatory environments across Pakistan and what they mean for Careem.
- Maintain mapping of stakeholders at the federal, provincial, and local level and updating value at stake matrix.
- Work with the product and business team to incorporate government guidelines into product design (e.g. Get Vaccinated widget)
The Manager, Government Relations Pakistan is an important support role at Careem key to enabling the successful engagement of government stakeholders and policy makers. Careem’s regulatory and policy agenda in Pakistan is highly innovative in that we are working with government partners to build win-win regulatory and policy frameworks for the mobility of people, the mobility of things and financial inclusion across a range of products and services. Put simply we are actively engaged in developing regulation for new industries we are helping create. This role requires some travel.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- 5+ years of relevant experience including at least 1 year working in advocacy
- Knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes in Pakistan and a nuanced understanding of the formal and informal influence channels.
- Comfort with starting from positions of regulatory uncertainty.
- A diverse range of backgrounds could be the foundation for success in this role including having worked in public policy, the Governments, public affairs or relations, regulated environments, management consulting, or law.
- Energetic and tenacious self-starter with an inner drive to proactively engage and follow up relentlessly to drive impact rather than output.
- Attention to detail, ability to think creatively and establish positions that benefit the company and its government partners.
- Complete fluency and the ability to draft formal correspondence in Urdu and English.
- Confident and articulate and persuasive when presenting in Urdu and English.
- Exceptional organisational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment.