Come join the Matching engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains (our drivers) to simplify and improve the lives of people. The team you will join is building the region’s premier logistics platform which helps create opportunities for millions of people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world and serve our 2 and 3 sided Marketplace!
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our Customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting-edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
About the role
We’re hiring a Senior Software Engineer in our Dubai office to join our geographically distributed Matching team. You will help build out our next generation matching platform which will power all of Careem’s logistics. The platform solves complex logistics and assignment problems to find the optimal matches of diverse customer orders to Captains (our drivers), delivering an outstanding customer experience with maximum efficiency.
Our tech stack is Java 8 and Spring Boot, Golang, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, iOS and Android applications, web front-end and AWS infrastructure.
Key responsibilities include:
- Software architecture and design of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging functional, scalability and reliability requirements for our fast growing business
- Integrate components into a fully functional & validated system
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, business owners, and technical program managers to solve interesting and challenging problems across our platform
- Document designs and review code
- Continuously strive for higher quality and productivity
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- 6+ years of experience in software development
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, APIs, and relational & NoSQL databases
- A deep familiarity with the AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, Elastic Search, Dynamo)
- Extensive backend programming experience in one or more of the following: Golang, Java, PHP, Python
- Ability to: effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements & think abstractly
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design
- Proven knowledge of system architecture
- Good communication skills
- Able to take individual ownership of a project from start to finish
- Have a MS or advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience working with real-time marketplaces or large-scale near real-time distributed systems
- Have experience with multiple technology stacks
What we offer
- A competitive salary and package
- A diverse team and inclusive culture
- A globally distributed, remote-first company and team
- Unlimited vacation
- A focus on individual learning and development
- The opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in one of the most dynamic regions of the world
Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and is quickly becoming the region’s only everyday Super App. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 100 cities across 14 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region, and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.
Careem became a wholly owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020.
Careem is a remote-first company and we pride ourselves in our diversity. This role is for a position in Dubai, UAE