At Careem, our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and create an awesome organisation that inspires. With this vast mission statement, we started by improving transportation and delivery in the region, and now we are expanding into Payment and we’ve launched a Super-App, hosting multiple Careem and 3rd-party apps, to further simplify and improve people’s everyday life.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup in the MENAP region. The first line of code was written in Pakistan and we built on it further in Dubai and Berlin. We operate in 130+ cities across 14 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
- Act as the first point of contact to answer all database related queries.
- Develop, Test and communicate new features to the team.
- Develop and design high availability and disaster recovery solutions.
- Develop effective monitoring solutions by utilizing engineering best practices and various reporting tools like Grafana.
- Participate in continuous improvement of database infrastructure solutions.
- Write new support programs and automation scripts for databases to increase engineering efficiency and fix existing database problems.
- Troubleshoot databases , checking for potential problems that affect database functionality and related database programs.
- Lend support to engineering teams as necessary during design, development and delivery to ensure solid, scalable, robust database solutions.
- Optimize database queries and systems for performance and reliability.
- Responsible for tuning and configuring databases as well as building tools and solutions to monitor, troubleshoot and automate our systems.
- Provision resources through infrastructure as code with terraform and ansible.
- Minimum bachelors in Computer Science / Data Science.
- 6 months to 1 year of demonstrated experience working in a database role.
- Strong analytical skills and a passion to work with large database architectures.
- Passionate about learning new technologies and working on a product of massive scale and impact.
- Working knowledge at writing SQL queries against large amounts of data.
- Self-starter with excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to get hands-on in a complex operational environment.
- Must be process orientated and a logical thinker with good attention to detail.
- Working knowledge with reporting tools such as Grafana.
- Working knowledge in Python.
- Experience in cloud technologies like AWS, Google is a plus.
- Working knowledge of non-relational databases is a plus.
What do we offer?
- Opportunity to work on huge real-time 24x7 databases.
- Opportunity to work on latest relational and non-relational database technologies.
- Exposure to national/international training and labs from database experts.