Senior Software Engineer (backend)
About the role:
Come join the Captain engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains to simplify and improve the lives of people. The Captain engineering team is building the region’s premier logistics platform which helps create opportunities for millions of people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world!
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Captain Acquisition & Supplier Experience team, you will be a part of a cross-functional team developing highly scalable and reliable web applications and backend services that our drivers and partners use every day. You will work with a group of highly talented and motivated individuals to help shape the experiences that our Captains (drivers) interact with every day on the Careem platform and that enable the business success of our partners. Your focus will be around creating an extensible set of web applications and services and building the core supplier experience functionality which works in a hybrid online/offline manner. You will be asked to take difficult business problems and turn them into delightful and reliable user experiences which allow our Captains to on-board to our platform and our suppliers to manage their fleets.
This role is for a position in Karachi, Pakistan
Key responsibilities include:
- Write high quality, performant and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
- Work independently to understand functional specifications and deliver complete features.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Participate in team agile processes and practices, contribute to their continuous evolution.
- Work closely with other engineers on the team to build highly scalable and robust backend services.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- 7+ years of professional experience in Software Development building scalable microservices.
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software against aggressive schedules.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- A deep familiarity with the AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, Elastic Search, Dynamo)
- Experience with distributed systems at scale in a cloud based environment.
- An understanding of how front end frameworks work.
- Experience with Reactive programming in Java, Spring Boot, and a deep understanding of DI frameworks.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and other fast iteration methods for product development.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.
Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and is quickly becoming the region’s only everyday SuperApp. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.