About the role:
Come join the logistics infrastructure engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains (drivers) to simplify and improve the lives of people. The team you will join is building the region’s premier logistics platform which helps create opportunities for millions of people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world and serve our 2 and 3 sided Marketplace!
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our Customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting-edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
As a Staff Software Engineer I on the logistics infra team, you will be a part of a functional team developing highly scalable and reliable backend services that our Captains, Customers, and partners use every day. Your focus will be around working on solutions to manage logistics infrastructure like maps, location awareness, and geofence locations. Part of your job will be understanding difficult business problems and turning them into highly qualitative applications, which results in a healthy marketplace.
Key responsibilities include:
- Contributes to the core functionality of several services. Defines the technical vision for a system and influences the engineering roadmap and drives the discussion around engineering deliverables for the tech organization.
- Collaborate with product and technical staff to understand business requirements for use in designing appropriate solutions.
- Converts ambiguous business requirements into functional and business requirements of a system. Acts as the technology guru for the majority of the services in a specific engineering organization.
- Evaluate options and recommend solutions based on scope and scale of effort required to deliver solutions.
- Technical leadership with strong experience in developing and shipping code for production systems.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Work closely and guide other engineers on the team to design and build highly scalable and robust backend services.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques, and coding principles.
- 10+ years of professional experience in Software Development building scalable systems.
- Experience with building GIS systems.
- Experience with distributed systems at scale in a cloud-based environment.
- Deep Knowledge of professional software engineering patterns, and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, and REST APIs.
- Deep knowledge of Amazon’s AWS ecosystem.
- Experience working with relational and NoSQL databases (e.g.PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, DynamoDb).
- Collaborative and able to work well with, and contribute to geographically distributed teams.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and other fast iteration methods for product development.
Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and is quickly becoming the region’s only everyday SuperApp. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 100 cities across 14 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region, and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.