Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our Customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting-edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies; so come join the Billing And Pricing engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains (drivers) to simplify and improve the lives of people. The team you will join is building the billing and pricing platform which helps create opportunities for millions of people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world and serve our 2 and 3 sided Marketplace!
About the role
We’re hiring a Staff Software Engineer I to join our geographically distributed Billing And Pricing team. You will help build our new billing and pricing platform and revamp and re-architect our services. The team is responsible for orchestrating the trip/orders cost and bills, dynamic/static Pricing, Invoicing, and other financial topics that touch the livelihood and the experience of our clients. We are building a distributed system that can serve our increasing demand and expanding business offerings.
What You'll Do
- Guide and collaborate with a diverse team of engineers to design, build, and ship great experiences for our customers.
- Lead the craftsmanship, reliability, and scalability of your solutions.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to more junior engineers on the team.
- Help build and achieve team vision in collaboration with your Product Manager, Engineering Manager and other team members.
- Bring a passion to stay on top of industry trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, and participate in internal and external technology communities.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents.
- Work closely with other engineers on the team to build highly scalable and robust backend services.
- Work closely with the Product Manager/Engineering manager to understand functional specifications and deliver complete features.
- Write high-quality, performant, and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs interdependently.
- Participate and enhance the team’s agile processes and practices, contributing to their continuous evolution.
- Participate and contribute to Careem tech discussions
- Take ownership of certain initiatives within the team to enhance the system capabilities or improve one of the team processes
What You’ll Need
- Technically strong, with 10+ years of experience developing and shipping code for production systems.
- Collaborative and able to work well with, and contribute to, a geographically distributed team.
- An owner, taking a personal stake in the success of the product and the team.
- Proud of the code you write and have a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship.
- Focused on the customer and the details that make their experience amazing.
- Practical, making the best use of time and resources to find the simplest solution that works.
- Current in relevant technologies and know how to implement them effectively.
- Motivated, always looking for ways to contribute, and know how to ship code.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or another related technical field.
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis.
- Good communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, APIs, and relational & NoSQL databases
- Ability to: effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and changing requirements & think abstractly.
- Proven knowledge of system architecture.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software against aggressive schedules.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Extensive backend programming experience in one or more of the following: Java, Golang.
- Good familiarity with the AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, Elastic Search, Dynamo)
- Experience working on containers (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Have a MS or advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Have experience with multiple technology stacks.
- Domain experience in billing and pricing systems and technologies.
- Experience with Reactive programming in Java, Golang, Nodejs, PHP, Spring Boot, and a deep understanding of DI frameworks.
- Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.
What we offer
- A competitive salary and package.
- A diverse team and inclusive culture.
- A globally distributed, remote-first company and team.
- Unlimited vacation.
- A focus on individual learning and development.
- The opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in one of the most dynamic regions of the world.
- Relocation expenses