Come join the Matching engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains (our drivers) to simplify and improve the lives of people. The team you will join is building the region’s premier logistics platform which helps create opportunities for millions of people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world and serve our 2 and 3 sided Marketplace!
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our Customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting-edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
About the role
We’re hiring a Staff Software Engineer I in our Dubai office to join our geographically distributed Matching team. You will help build out our next generation matching platform which will power all of Careem’s logistics. The platform solves complex logistics and assignment problems to find the optimal matches of diverse customer orders to Captains (our drivers), delivering an outstanding customer experience with maximum efficiency.
What You'll Do
- Guide a diverse team of engineers to design, build, and ship great experiences for our customers
- Lead the craftsmanship, reliability, and scalability of your solutions
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to more junior engineers on the team
- Help build and achieve team vision in collaboration with PM, EM and other team members
- Bring a passion to stay on top of industry trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, and participate in internal and external technology communities
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents
What You’ll Need
- Technically strong, with 8+ years of experience developing and shipping code for production systems
- Experience working with real-time marketplaces or large-scale near real-time distributed systems
- Collaborative and able to work well with, and contribute to, a geographically distributed team
- An owner, taking a personal stake in the success of the product and the team
- Proud of the code you write and have a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship
- Focused on the customer and the details that make their experience amazing
- Practical, making the best use of time and resources to find the simplest solution that works
- Current in relevant technologies and know how to implement them effectively
- Have a BS or advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Motivated, always looking for ways to contribute, and know how to ship code
- Have a MS or advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Have experience with multiple technology stacks
What we offer
- A competitive salary and package
- A diverse team and inclusive culture
- A globally distributed, remote-first company and team
- Unlimited vacation
- A focus on individual learning and development
- The opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in one of the most dynamic regions of the world
Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and is quickly becoming the region’s only everyday Super App. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 100 cities across 14 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region, and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.
Careem became a wholly owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020.
Careem is a remote-first company and we pride ourselves in our diversity. This role is for a position in Dubai, UAE