About the role
The UAE is one of the most strategic markets for Careem, with presence across its core cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, in addition to its emerging cities of Sharjah, Ajman, and Ras Al Khaimah.
The UAE is Careem’s first market and home. After 8 years of operation, the UAE was the first market to launch the Super App covering all of Careem’s services in one App, including Ride Hailing, Taxis through the JV with the RTA, Food delivery, on-demand delivery of catalogued essentials and speciality items, Courier service, Bike share throughout the city, Pay services, and many more.
As part of its nature, the UAE market services millions of UAE residents and visitors across its different verticals; a diverse user base, with high expectations for quality and innovation.
The role of the General Manager for Careem in the UAE will be responsible to lead a super star team that operates the different verticals live on the Careem Super App. In this era of efficient, relevant, and high quality growth, we are looking for a strong people leader who is agile and has a deep understanding of the UAE market and its customer base across the different segments. In this role, you will be expected to build and execute on a country strategy that will position Careem strategically across all its verticals, that will grow the affinity and loyalty of the current users in the market, and that will create opportunities to tap into new customer segments growing Careem’s presence even further in its cities in the UAE.
The General Manager for Careem in the UAE will be leading a team of more than 35 people with senior vertical leaders for the different businesses, and senior and experienced function leaders across operations, sales and account management, marketing and growth, partnerships, government relations, communications, finance, and people teams.
- Developing the market vision and strategy, setting quarterly objectives, and leading key projects
- Directing the execution of the country strategy across the different verticals and functions
- Overseeing and managing the market performance at a country, city, and business level
- Managing and owning the P&L for the country setting direction, budget allocations, and forecasts and plans at an annual, quarterly, and monthly level
- Manage Commercial Managers for the different business verticals and Functional Heads and challenge them and their teams on raising the bar of quality, relevance and competitiveness
- Own the growth and excellence of UAE growth markets
- Build relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally, including strategic partners, government officials, industry counterparts, etc, i.e., the face of Careem in the UAE
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to leading and growing a rockstar team, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, a strong sense of curiosity and urgency to get things done, and a clear alignment with our core values: ownership, be of service and shoot to the moon. Additional qualifications include:
- A people leader who invests in growing and guiding the team
- Strategic thinker with strong commercial acumen and a strong analytical approach
- Fast learner and agile in a dynamic role, business, and market
- Big picture thinker able to zoom in and out as needed to service the business
- Humble and hungry to learn something new; curiosity to do what has not been done before to set the bar on experience, customer service, and innovation in the market
- Collaborative personality with clear direction on what is required
- Strong at stakeholder management, internally, with leadership, and externally
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience
- Team leadership
- Customer-centric experience and mindset
- Technology organization
- UAE-specific experience and strong knowledge of the market
- Experience at a dynamic organization