Staff Infrastructure Architect II
At Careem, our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and create an awesome organisation that inspires. With this vast mission statement, we started by improving transportation and delivery, and now we are expanding into payment. We have recently launched our Careem super app, hosting multiple Careem and 3rd-party apps, to further simplify and improve people’s everyday life.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup in the MENAP region. We operate in 100+ cities across 11 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious with each other and with our users.
About the job
The Careem Infrastructure team helps customers transform and build what's next for their business — all with technology built in the cloud. Our products are engineered for security, reliability and scalability, running the full stack from infrastructure to applications to devices and hardware. Our teams are dedicated to helping our customers — Careem Engineering teams, small and large businesses and government agencies — see the benefits of our technology come to life. As part of an entrepreneurial team in this rapidly growing business, you will play a key role in understanding the needs of our customers and help shape the future of businesses of all sizes and use technology to connect with customers, employees and partners.
As an Infrastructure Architect, you will guide customers on how to configure and deploy their Careem infrastructure consisting of cloud environments and container orchestration, network architecture, logging, observability, security and more. You will consult with Careem Engineering teams on how to best design their cloud environments for optimal scaling including containerization, networking design, load balancer setup, caching, compute optimizations, continuous integration and delivery pipelines, etc. You will directly work with customers to deploy solutions and deliver workshops to educate and empower them. Additionally, you will work closely with Product Management and Product Engineering to drive excellence in Careem Infrastructure products and features.
In this role, you are Careem Infrastructure Architect working with Careem Infrastructure Engineering teams on most strategic enterprise and digital solutions. Together with the Engineering teams, you will support customer implementation of Careem infrastructure products through: architecture guidance, best practices, data migration, capacity planning, implementation, troubleshooting, monitoring, and more.
Careem Infrastructure provides Careem Engineering teams with leading platform capabilities and industry best practice solutions. We integrate and deliver enterprise-grade cloud solutions that leverage Careem’s cutting-edge technology to help Careem Engineering teams operate more efficiently and adapt to changing needs, giving a foundation for the future. Careem’s Engineering teams turn to Careem Infrastructure team as their trusted partner to solve their most critical business problems.
- Architecture: You will lead and be a trusted technical advisor to solve complex Cloud Infrastructure; DataBase and Development Operations challenges. Provide guidance to engineers who work on complex technical matters and designs impacting all the domains under Careem. You will keep raising the technical bar at Careem. You will be coaching and advising teammates on the selection of methodologies, tools and technologies.
- Design: Ensure end-to-end architecture design according to best practices, compliance, regulation and privacy. Create and deliver best practices recommendations, tutorials, blog articles, sample code, and technical presentations adapting to different levels of key business and technical stakeholders.
- Technical vision: You will oversee the technical vision and co-lead the infrastructure roadmap to deliver competitive value from Data and enable a simple user experience.
- Supporting and growing the Infrastructure teams: Support a highly scalable, easy to maintain, Infrastructure platforms and design for users and content 360. Support the Engineering, Infrastructure, Data & AI and Analytics team.
- Uber-Careem: You will actively engage with Uber and build perspective on Build Vs Buy Vs Adopt strategies. For key technologies that will be adopted from Uber, you will drive end to end, working closely with your peers and stakeholders at Careem.
- Careem-wide Tech Leadership: You will work with different stakeholders at a senior level and engage proactively with all Careem engineering leads in different domains: Mobility of People, Mobility of Things, Super App Platform, and Careem Pay.
- Tech culture: You will help strengthen the tech culture at Careem as a tech culture champion. And you will help attract talent and grow the Careem engineering brand by publishing technical blogs and participating in tech conferences.
Key experiences to have:
- Experience in traditional Cloud, database and network technologies
- Experience in AWS solutions, (Google Cloud or Cloud providers)
- Cloud best practices and data governance.
- Database accessibility and security.
- CI/CD and testing approaches and best practices.
- Performance optimization and automation.
- Logging, monitoring and alerting.
- Exposure to reporting & visualization.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 15+ years of experience managing customer/client-facing consulting projects to completion and handling technical troubleshooting.
- Experience in writing one or more coding languages (e.g., Java, Python, Go, etc).
- Experience in designing and maintaining internet facing production-grade applications in distributed virtualized or containerized environments.
- Master or Phd degree in Computer Science or equivalent discipline.
- Experience with AWS, EKS, Kubernetes and managed environments and cloud native technologies on major global Cloud platforms.
- Experience with Cloud networking, including the integration to other environments.
- Experience with scalable networking technologies (e.g., as Load Balancers, Firewalls) and web standards (e.g., REST APIs, gRPC, web security mechanisms).
- Experience with deployment and orchestration technologies (e.g., Terraform, Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible, Docker, Mesos, OpenStack, Jenkins).
- Experience in system administration tasks in Linux, Unix, or Windows with familiarity with standard IT security practices (e.g., encryption, certificates, key management).
- Understanding of open source server software (e.g., NGINX, Envoy, Redis, Elasticsearch).