At Careem, our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and create an awesome organisation that inspires. With this vast mission statement, we started by improving the mobility of people, the mobility of goods, then the mobility of money. We are transforming into a super-app hosting multiple Careem and 3rd-party apps to simplify life and amplify living.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup in the MENAP region. We operate in 100+ cities across 11 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture that is known for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovating with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
The Careem Data Science and AI team’s mission is to drive competitive value from data at scale through building AI models to optimize user experiences, decision making, operational efficiencies, and lead the region’s AI ecosystem.
As a Staff Data Scientist, you have built a strong track record of delivering business impact in a wide spectrum of applications. You are happy to implement a simple heuristic or a sophisticated deep learning or reinforcement learning model if it meets the business needs and the time constraints. You find satisfaction in leading collaborations with partners and shipping changes that deliver measurable business impact. You have a passion for mentoring others and you have developed a strong technical leadership role on a high-performing team. You are a constant learner, tinkerer, and you enjoy experimenting with the latest technologies to further drive impact and keep raising the bar.
- Apply AI to drive measurable business impact in the Mobility space, mainly Marketplace and Captains (drivers) user experience. Topics include: multi-objective cost function for supply-demand matching, multi-modal transport matching, ETA optimizations, peak pricing for supply and demand shaping, pooling for mobility of people, batching for mobility of things, Captain entity embedding and 360 features understanding, Captain behavior engagement through sequential learning.
- Deeply understand the business and user needs and design appropriate metrics to improve how products meet those needs
- Create and improve team processes and set a technical team vision and strategy
- Mentor junior data scientists
- Perform analysis on raw event data in modern data warehouse systems
- Take ambiguous business and technical problems to an appropriate solution
- Use expertise in causal inference, machine learning, complex systems modeling, behavioral decision theory etc. to shape the future of Careem
- Develop relation and collaborate with your Uber’s counterparts on ML applications
- 6+ years experience in applied AI and operationalization of AI at scale
- Experience in applied Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning
- Expertise in machine learning frameworks (like Keras, TensorFlow, or PyTorch) and libraries (like scikit-learn)
- Deep knowledge of traditional ML concepts such as GMMs, SVMs, trees, and boosting as well as more recent deep learning fundamentals
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline such as Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Computer Science.
- Strong problem solving and coding skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience in at least 2 of the following: Python, SQL, Spark, Hive.
- Experience with upskilling teammates with new ML technologies and infrastructures
- Experience with large-scale distributed databases (e.g., Spark)
- Experience with data orchestration tools (e.g., Airflow) and streaming systems
- Experience with online controlled experimentation
- Previous publication experience in conferences such as CVPR, ICCV, NeurIPS, and ICLR will be great to have.