Data Scientist II
At Careem, our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and create an awesome organization that inspires. With this vast mission statement, we started by improving transportation and delivery in the region, and now we are expanding into Payment and we’re launching a super-app, hosting multiple Careem and 3rd-party apps, to further simplify and improve people’s everyday life.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup in the MENAP region. The first line of code was written in Pakistan and we built on it further in Dubai and Berlin. We operate in 100+ cities across 11 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
The Careem AI team’s mission is to drive competitive value from data at scale through building AI models to optimize user experiences, decision making, operational efficiencies, and leading the region’s AI ecosystem. As one of the technical leaders of this team, you will be at the forefront of fulfilling this mission. You will be working with the top data science talent of the region, to solve the region’s day-to-day problems, through state-of-the-art, well-integrated, democratized experimentation and AI, across our different products and platforms.
- Work on the development of the analytical part of our in-house built Experimentation Platform.
- Design and develop automated experiment analysis modules, utilizing univariate and multivariate statistical testing methods.
- Empowering internal group of Data Scientists, Data Analysts, and Product Managers by simplifying their day-to-day job of analyzing hundreds of A/B test experiments.
- Write high-quality, performant, and reliable code that powers the production infrastructure of our experimentation platform.
- Work closely with other engineers in the team to build a highly scalable and robust experimentation platform.
- Participate in growing and contributing to the region’s AI community.
- 3+ years of professional experience in Data Science, with a deep understanding of classical Machine Learning algorithms (Generalized Linear Models, Gradient Boosting, Gaussian Process).
- Strong proficiency in Python (with a focus on scientific packages like sklearn, scipy, PyMC3). Experience with other programming languages will be an advantage.
- Previous experience in analyzing A/B tests. Familiarity with pre-experiment bias detection, p-value calculation, Bonferroni correction, CUPED.
- Strong experience with Bayesian Inference (Multi-Armed Bandits, Thomson Sampling).
- A degree in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Computational Mathematics, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering.
- Good understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and other fast iteration methods for product development.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- A strong and innovative approach to problem-solving and finding solutions. Flexible and proactive/self-motivated working style with strong personal ownership of problem resolution.