Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and is quickly becoming the region’s only everyday SuperApp. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.
About the Role:
We are looking for software engineers to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued development.
You will build the backend systems that power the Careem engine, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. These large scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing.
Our tech stack is Java 8 and Spring Boot, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, iOS and Android applications, web front-end and AWS infrastructure.
This role is for a remote position in Egypt or Jordan or Pakistan
Key responsibilities include:
- Write high quality, performant and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
- Work independently to understand functional specifications and deliver complete features.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Participate in team agile processes and practices, contribute to their continuous evolution.
- Work closely with other engineers on the team to build highly scalable and robust backend services.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- 10+ years of professional experience in Software Development building scalable microservices.
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software against aggressive schedules.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- A deep familiarity with the AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, Elastic Search, Dynamo)
- Experience with distributed systems at scale in a cloud based environment.
- An understanding of how front end frameworks work.
- Experience with Reactive programming in Java, Spring Boot, and a deep understanding of DI frameworks.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and other fast iteration methods for product development.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.