Director of Data Platforms
At Careem, our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and create an awesome organisation that inspires. With this vast mission statement, we started by improving transportation and delivery in the region, and now we are expanding into Payment and we’re launching a super-app, hosting multiple Careem and 3rd-party apps, to further simplify and improve people’s everyday life.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup in the MENAP region. The first line of code was written in Pakistan and we built on it further in Dubai and Berlin. We operate in 100+ cities across 11 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
The Careem Big Data Platform team’s mission is to provide a platform to abstract big data complexities and enable fast, reliable and secure access to data. As the leader of this team, you will be at the forefront of fulfilling this mission. You will be working with and leading the top talent of the region, leveraging modern big data tools and techniques to solve the region’s day to day problems, on top of our own in-house data platform, serving users in real-time.
- Lead a team of highly motivated and capable data engineers who will work on creating and operating Careem’s data platform at scale.
- Develop strategy to leverage big data as a strategic competitive advantage to Careem.
- Collaborate with and influence leadership so that the team’s work directly impacts the organization’s strategy.
- Define a clear roadmap for the data platform teams both in terms of projects and team development, working closely with other data and engineering teams.
- Develop deep partnerships with data, engineering, product and business teams to deliver on major cross-functional efforts.
- Communicate effectively to all levels of the organization.
- Build a fruitful relationship and collaborate with the AI counterparts at Uber, Careem’s parent company, in order to leapfrog our tech leveraging Uber’s platforms.
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field - computer science, statistics, economics, mathematics, etc.
- 12+ years of professional full-time experience working with data engineering teams.
- 5+ years of experience directly managing data engineering teams.
- Strong experience in setting up, managing, and growing a data engineering team.
- Strong track record in delivering high impact from data through leading multiple cross-functional projects.
- Track record of shipping new products and iterating on them over time.
- Track record of attracting and retaining top talent.
- Experience instilling a culture of ownership, collaboration, and results.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, critical thinking, and wise judgement.