At Careem, our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and create an awesome organisation that inspires. With this vast mission statement, we started by improving transportation and delivery in the region, and now we are expanding into Payment and we’ve launched a super-app, hosting multiple Careem and 3rd-party apps, to further simplify and improve people’s everyday life.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup in the MENAP region. The first line of code was written in Pakistan and we built on it further in Dubai and Berlin. We operate in 100+ cities across 11 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
About The Role:
As a Data Scientist at Careem, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale. You will be developing descriptive and predictive models as well as running extensive data analysis on millions of customer transactions supported by a cutting edge data platform to unlock the big opportunities that simplify the lives of people through reliable transportation. Some of the problems the data science team works on are: Dynamic pricing optimization. Optimal dispatching. Fraud detection and prevention. ETA prediction. Location search optimization.
- Implement scalable machine learning algorithms that will be used in production on big data.
- Embark on exploratory data analysis projects to achieve better understanding of phenomena as well as to discover untapped areas of growth and optimization.
- Answer complex analytic questions from big data sets to help Careem shape its products and services in a better way.
- Help define and track the appropriate key metrics for specific projects.
- Design and run randomized controlled experiments, analyze the resulting data and communicate results with other teams.
- You will always challenge the status quo and continually investigate new data processing technologies and seek to ensure that we follow the industry best practices.
- 3+ years experience in data mining, predictive modeling, time series analysis, machine learning, Big Data methodologies, transformation and cleaning of both structured and unstructured data.
- Bachelor's Degree in a quantitative discipline such as Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Computer Science(Advanced degree preferred)
- Strong problem solving and coding skills.
- Fluency in English along with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience in at least 2 of the following: Python, R, SQL, Spark, Hive.
- Demonstrated experience with database technologies (e.g. Hadoop, BigQuery, Amazon EMR, Hive, Oracle, SAP, DB2, Teradata, MS SQL Server, MySQL) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with business intelligence and visualization tools (Tableau, MicroStrategy, ChartIO, Qlik) along with geospatial data processing skills is also a plus.
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies.