At Careem, we are driven by the purpose of simplifying the lives of people and building an awesome organisation that inspires. Based in Dubai, we started our journey as a pioneer of the Middle East’s ride-hailing economy. Today, Careem is the region’s everyday Super App operational in 13 countries and over 100 cities. The Super App provides a host of daily services that people need to move around, to order things and to transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Our goal is to simplify people’s daily lives so that they can spend their precious time and mindshare on things that really matter and on realizing their potential.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup from Dubai with presence in 100+ cities across 13 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
As a tax professional, you will be leading and owning products and services that enable paying experience for customers and captains (drivers) in a delightful and compliant fashion across the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. You will have tremendous ownership, and it is an invitation to do the most meaningful work of your career.
As a tax professional you’ll be involved in supporting group tax compliance and reporting matters for Careem in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. If you welcome a high-growth, fast-paced international environment, this may be the opportunity for you!
What you'll do
- Manage the tax compliance profile of Careem, ensuring all local tax filing requirements are understood and documented and filings and payments are made on time.
- Refresh and manage the tax compliance database, ensuring all tax returns are stored on a timely basis and easily retrievable.
- Manage the monthly and quarterly tax reporting cycle for the group, following up with local tax and accounting teams to ensure tax entries are made, are correctly documented and reconciled and are in line with expectations.
- Work closely with tax and accounting colleagues to manage tax reserve positions.
- Identify and implement improvements to the tax reporting process at Careem.
- Support the accounting team with any tax related accounting/ financial statement disclosures as applicable.
- Provide active support to positively and successfully conclude tax audits and controversies.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the global tax team on various projects and provide regular feedback to the tax team and other teams to ensure they understand your role, enabling them to better partner with you on tax issues.
- Where necessary, support on project management of tax related initiatives by identifying, documenting and executing the tax requirements.
- Support with tax technical research including analysis and interpretation of relevant tax laws, regulations, cases and agency guidance, and update relevant stakeholders as appropriate.
Who you are
- Passion for Careem’s mission and the company’s hybrid technology/ operations nature.
- Very strong tax technical and accounting skills.
- Very strong analytical skills and ability to solve complex problems.
- Ability to influence stakeholders without direct authority.
- Willingness to deal with a very steep learning curve and openness to challenging projects outside your usual areas of experience or comfort zone.
- Grittiness, you never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with aggressive timelines.
- Comfortable in navigating uncertainty in a fast-paced environment, with a high level of autonomy.
- Self-motivated with great attention to detail, project management and organizational skills and strong ownership of tasks.
- Comfortable working in a remote environment, with strong self-discipline.
- A team player with a good sense of humor.
What you'll need
- An academic degree in tax law and/ or a professional qualification or equivalent.
- To be an excellent tax professional with at least 5 years of tax experience, preferably experience in a fast-paced, large volume e-commerce environment and as a tax adviser at a Big 4.
- Affinity with and interest in tax related technologies is an important asset since this over time digitalization will become an increasingly important part of the position.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills is mandatory whilst written and verbal Arabic language skills are considered a big plus.
- Curiosity mindset, exceptional organizational skills, excellence in daily task executions and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- High standards across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with and projects you work on.
What do we offer you?
- Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, ownership culture and a fun learning environment! Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun environment.
- Mentorship and career growth.