Engineering Manager - Identity Team (Hands-on)
ABOUT THE ROLE
Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 100+ cities across 14 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and hosts over 35 million users.
A pioneer of the region’s ride- hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation to become the SuperApp of the region. Identity is the core piece of Careem. We are building great identity solutions incl’ advanced security & anti-fraud capabilities, supporting new access mgmt solutions, and centralize & personalize experience for all Careem customers.
Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. You will lead a team of 8-10 amazing engineers from the Careem Identity team. You will partner with engineering leaders across Careem to ensure alignment about engineering challenges and opportunities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and grow the Identity team. At Careem we build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Support execution of team deliverables, organize team sprint meetings, and work with the team to achieve its OKRs
- Support setting the short-, mid- and long-term technical roadmap for the team in collaboration with the technical leads and the leadership team
- Foster a healthy and collaborative team culture and be a role model by demonstrating Careem core values
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members Help develop their careers and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Participate in code review and technical whiteboard discussions. Support trading off technical debt versus the pace of progress
- Collaborate closely with leads and EMs working on different components across the org
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Proficiency in one of the following: Java, Kotlin, or Python
- Experience working with OpenId and OAuth
- Deep understanding of building complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring, and reliability
- Proven ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams in situations of ambiguity, with only high level direction
- Understand security and integrity engineering
- Ability to communicate highly technical problems and solutions at all levels from engineer to C-level executives
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced environment and collaborate across teams and disciplines
- Openness to new / different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on first principles
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training fellowship, or work experience.