At Careem, we are driven by the purpose of simplifying the lives of people and building an awesome organization that inspires. Based in Dubai, we started our journey as a pioneer of the Middle East’s ride-hailing economy.
Today, Careem is the region’s everyday Super App operational in 13 countries and over 100 cities. The Super App provides a host of daily services that people need to move around, to order things and to transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Our goal is to simplify people’s daily lives so that they can spend their precious time and mindshare on things that really matter and on realizing their potential
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for software engineers to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued development.
You will build the backend systems that power the Careem engine, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. These large scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing.
Our tech stack is Java 8 and Spring Boot, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, iOS and Android applications, web front-end and AWS infrastructure. Key responsibilities include:
- Development of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging functional, scalability and reliability requirements for our fast-growing business
- Build and ship new features and systems, with an emphasis on code quality, maintainability, readability, and testing
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems across our platform
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- 8+ years of experience in Object-oriented design, data-structures and algorithms.
- Proficiency in PHP, Golang, Java and server-side technologies (must love coding!)
- Fluency with software engineering tools
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements & think abstractly
- Passionate about learning new technologies and working on a product of massive scale and impact
Nice to have:
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems
- Web services & APIs, and relational & NoSQL databases
- Experience of Micro services & building scalable and reliable platforms
- Experience with cloud-centric application development and deployment (AWS preferred)
- Experience with docker and devops technologies (jenkins)
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies.
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.