At Careem, we are driven by the purpose of simplifying the lives of people and building an awesome organization that inspires. Based in Dubai, we started our journey as a pioneer of the Middle East’s ride-hailing economy
Today, Careem is the region’s everyday Super App operational in 13 countries and over 100 cities. The Super App provides a host of daily services that people need to move around, to order things and to transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Our goal is to simplify people’s daily lives so that they can spend their precious time and mindshare on things that really matter and on realizing their potential
About the Role:
Come join the Mobility of People Customer Engineering Team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains (drivers) to simplify and improve the lives of people. The Customer engineering team is building the region’s premier ride-hailing experience, enabling our customers and uplifting the region’s transportation infrastructure.
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
As a Senior Android Mobile Engineer, you will be a part of a cross-functional team developing the highly scalable and reliable mobile applications that our customers use every day. You will work with a group of highly talented and motivated individuals to help shape the experiences that our customers interact with every day on the Careem platform. You will be asked to take difficult business problems and turn them into delightful and reliable user experiences. Your focus will be around helping lead the team to create an engaging user experience and building core app functionality that works within our SuperApp.
This position holder can join us remotely while working from the preferred location in Karachi or Lahore or Islamabad
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and build advanced, scalable Android applications written in Kotlin, Java and Kotlin Multiplatform
- Work with the Product and Design teams to understand end-user requirements and use cases and translate them pragmatic and effective technical solutions
- Integrate with our backend services (JSON, REST, etc.) to make sure we are delivering a great mobile user experience that is super-fast for end-users
- Own end-to-end product modules/features from requirement to going live
- Design and review code, troubleshoot and act as a consultant to team members on technical matters
- Gather requirements by interacting directly with the end-users and advocate delightful user experiences
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency
- Unit, UI, and integration test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
- Use core animation to create engaging motion effects and intuitive interfaces
- Create reusable components and architectures that could scale
- Contribute to and maintain CI/CD pipelines for applications and frameworks
- Contribute to and maintain Application health monitoring and alerting systems
- 8+ years’ experience with full life cycle Android application development and publishing Android apps in the play store
- Experience building well-architected applications that follow well-established design patterns independently and without supervision.
- Strong understanding of interactive application development paradigm under Android, memory management, file I/O, network programming, concurrency and multithreading, and publishing Android apps in the Play Store.
- Good understanding of the full mobile development life cycle. Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Experience working with remote teams in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software against aggressive schedules.
- Experience in working with third-party libraries and APIs
- Good experience on testing frameworks, including Robolectric and Espresso (Cucumber is a plus)
- Strong and innovative approach to problem-solving and finding solutions. Flexible and proactive/self-motivated working style with strong personal ownership of problem resolution.
- Excellent communicator (written and verbal, formal, and informal).
- Highly accountable and takes ownership, with a collaborative attitude, and a lifelong learner
- Some experience in iOS development and native cross-platform technologies is a plus
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, an ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone