Careem is the internet platform for the greater Middle East region. A pioneer of the region's ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to become the region's everyday Super App. Careem's mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in over 100 cities across 13 countries and has created more than one million employment opportunities in the region. Careem became a wholly owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020. www.careem.com
As Careem becomes the region’s everyday Super App; the scale and complexity of government engagement will increase. In this role you will be expected to build and execute a coherent and high impact media and government relations strategy for Egypt; that works to elevate the Careem brand and reputation across our markets, the wider industry and our new owners; Uber.
Specifically, you will be required to secure Careem’s license to operate, win favorable regulation and broker government partnerships while protecting and enhancing Careem’s reputation in Egypt.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Government Relations you will develop and implement effective government relations, and regulatory strategies and, develop and implement impactful communications strategies for Careem in Egypt.
In this role, you will have a dotted reporting line to the MD of Careem North Africa, and be expected to build and maintain effective working relationships with key internal stakeholders in government relations, communications, brand, marketing, people, tech, operations, finance and the leadership team.
This role has significant impact on key operational metrics including Careem’s ability to build a differentiated brand position and, generate and grow revenue in Egypt through existing and future products, services, and operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (OUTPUTS, KPI’S):
- Develop, in coordination with the Senior Director Government Relations, Region MD, Country GM and other senior
business leaders, winning strategies for Careem’s successful engagement with the government in Egypt.
- Work closely with the country GM and other senior business leaders to directly engage government stakeholders and successfully advocate for
Careem’s interests with decision makers.
-Persistent follow up with government bureaucrats to ensure support from top-level government officials translates into quick favorable action at the civil servant level.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of Careem’s engagements with government, including weekly reports on actions taken, an up-to-date stakeholder map for each country, a detailed value at stake matrix as well as other tools and trackers.
- Develop and maintain strong, trust-based relationships with ministries, regulators, and other Government and non-government
- Advise senior business leaders up to and including the CEO with clear, concise and actionable insights on the political, regulatory environments and what they mean for Careem.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships across the Careem network and with dependent teams in Uber.
- Be purpose driven and operate in line with Careem values.
The Director, Government Relations Egypt is a leadership role at Careem. Careem’s regulatory and policy agenda in Egypt is highly innovative in that we are working with government partners to build win-win regulatory and policy frameworks for the mobility of people, the mobility of things and financial inclusion across a range of products and services as we become the region’s everyday Super App. Careem’s engagement with media in Egypt and the protection and enhancement of its reputation is a key enabler of business growth.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- 10 - 15+ years of relevant experience including at least 3 years working in Egypt.
- Well-developed, knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes in Egypt and a nuanced understanding of the formal and informal influence
- Comfort with starting from positions of regulatory uncertainty.
- A diverse range of backgrounds could be the foundation for success in this role including having worked either in-house or consultancy in public policy, the Government of Egypt, public affairs or public relations, regulated environments, management consulting, or law.
- Complete fluency and the ability to draft formal correspondence, and persuade when presenting in Arabic, and English.
- Energetic and tenacious self-starter with an inner drive to proactively engage and follow up relentlessly to drive impact rather than output.
- Attention to detail, ability to think creatively and establish positions that benefit the company and its government partners.
- Unflappable demeanor; always calm in the face of adversity.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment.
- Capable of operating in a fast-paced, matrixed organisation often with imperfect information and time pressure