To work with the Senior Director of Government Relations to manage the development and implementation of an effective government relations, regulatory and policy strategy for Careem in Saudi Arabia and the Levant (estimated time split: 35% - KSA, 35% Jordan, 25% Iraq, 3% Lebanon, 2% Palestine) to secure Careem’s licenses to operate, advocate for favorable regulations and win government partnerships across, ride hailing, delivery, payments and new vertices.
- Develop, in coordination with the Senior Director, Region MD, Country GMs and other senior business leaders, winning strategies for Careem’s successful engagement with the governments of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon and Palestine.
- Work closely with the country GMs and other senior business leaders to directly engage government stakeholders and successfully advocate for Careem’s interests with decision makers.
- Persistent follow up with government bureaucrats to ensure support from top-level government officials translates into quick favorable action at the civil servant level.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of Careem’s engagements with governments, including weekly reports on actions taken, an up-to-date stakeholder map for each country, a detailed value at stake matrix as well as other tools and trackers.
- Lead the development of persuasive position papers and presentations that explain Careem’s regulatory and policy objectives to policy makers.
- Develop and maintain strong, trust-based relationships with Ministries, regulators, and other Government and non-government bodies at the Minister, Director General, Advisor, civil servant and enforcement levels.
- Track regulatory and political developments in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon and Palestine utilizing both formal and informal sources of information to proactively identify threats to and opportunities for Careem.
- Advise senior business leaders up to and including the CEO with clear, concise and actionable insights on the political and regulatory environments across KSA and the Levant and what they mean for Careem.
- 10 - 15+ years of relevant experience including at least 3 years working in KSA or the Levant
- Well-developed, knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes in KSA and the Levant and a nuanced understanding of the formal and informal influence channels.
- Comfort with starting from positions of regulatory uncertainty.
- A diverse range of backgrounds could be the foundation for success in this role including having worked in public policy, the Governments of Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon or Palestine, public affairs or relations, regulated environments, management consulting, or law.
- Energetic and tenacious self-starter with an inner drive to proactively engage and follow up relentlessly to drive impact rather than output.
- Attention to detail, ability to think creatively and establish positions that benefit the company and its government partners.
- Unflappable demeanor; always calm in the face of adversity.
- Complete fluency and the ability to draft formal correspondence in Arabic and English.
- Confident and articulate and persuasive when presenting in Arabic and English.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment.