Software Engineer II - iOS
Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region.
About the role
Come join the Captain Engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains to simplify and improve the lives of people. The Captain Engineering team is building the supply platform of the region which will help create opportunities for people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world.
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many locations.
As an iOS Mobile Engineer on the Captain Ride iOS team, you will be a part of a cross-functional team developing a highly scalable and reliable application that our Captains use every day. You will work with a group of highly talented and motivated individuals to help shape the experiences that our Captains (drivers) interact with every day on the Careem platform. Your focus will be around helping lead the team to create an engaging user experience and building core app functionality which works in a hybrid online/offline manner.
As an iOS Engineer you will:
- Design and build advanced, scalable applications written in Swift along with Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Work with the product and design teams to understand end-user requirements and use cases and translate them pragmatic and effective technical solutions.
- Integrate with our backend services to make sure we are delivering a great mobile user experience that is super-fast for end users.
- Own end-to-end product modules and features from requirements to going live.
- Design and review code, troubleshoot and act as a consultant to your peers on technical matters.
- Gather requirements by interacting directly with the end users and advocate delightful user experiences.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency.
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability.
- 3+ years of iOS application development with extensive use of Swift and well-known application frameworks.
- Strong understanding of interactive application development paradigm under iOS, memory management, file I/O, network programming, concurrency and multithreading.
- Experience in iOS-specific application development and publishing iOS apps in the AppStore.
- Good understanding of design patterns.
- Good understanding of the full mobile development life cycle. Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Strong and innovative approach to problem solving and finding solutions.
- Flexible, proactive and self-motivated working style with strong personal ownership of problem resolution.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal, formal and informal).
- Proven track record of leading mid to big teams with a servant leadership approach
- Ability to multi-task under pressure and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reactive programming (Rx, ReactiveCocoa, ReactiveSwift etc.) experience is a big plus.
- Kotlin or Kotlin/Native experience is a plus.
- Experience in Navigation based applications is a big plus.
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.